Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: New camera help.

Options
My wife’s parents got us a Nikon D750 for Christmas but I don’t really know what I am doing. I have always been a put it on auto and point and shoot kind of guy. Anyway, I have some major learning to do to do this camera right and I know some of y’all know what y’all are doing. If anybody can recommend any helpful websites and tips I’d greatly appreciate it. It’s completely overwhelming.
Dyersburg, TN

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    I would take a look here:

This guy is a little full of himself sometimes, but I have found his site educational.

The D750 is a serious camera. Perhaps overkill unless you plan to really get serious about photography. You will enjoy the D750 if your willing to learn about its operation.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    Nice rig. There’s a lot more to it than simply learning the features and functionality of your camera. I’d recommend reading everything you can about exposure and expanding from there. This book is a great place to start. 

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Ken Rockwell also has apps. I downloaded one after getting my D7000. There are also infographics available online that show you what manual settings you should be using in given situations/conditions. 
  • Surveyor_Egg
    Options
    jump on you tube and search there.  Lots of videos for entry level photo advice.  Practice changing different settings to try and get different effects and keep a log of results.    Its a fun hobby and it has lots of ways to spend more money just like egging. 

------

1 Large BGE

Boston, MA

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The basics for controlling your sensitivity, aperture and shutter speed and how they impact the sharpness, depth of field, etc are pretty easy.  You'll pick them up fast.  Play around a lot.

The hard part of photography is finding subjects and composing your photos.  There are plenty of videos and written information on this also.
    Options
    Congrats, excellent camera!  Two neat things about today's gear:
    1.  You can incorporate features as you learn them, nothing wrong with starting out as a point-n-shoot in Auto.  I'm still learning new things on my D500, 3 years later.
    2.  You can see your shot, instantly, on the screen and change things/learn on the fly.  I learned by taking careful notes, shooting, dropping the film off for development, and then 3 days later learning one thing and throwing 34 of 36 slides in the trash, $15 at a time.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    @leemschu - As evidenced here I don't know a thing about pics and don't care.  But I am curious if there are any obvious messages being sent by the in-laws with such a great camera??  Can't imagine that is a casual decision but I could be totally missing the mark.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @leemschu - As evidenced here I don't know a thing about pics and don't care.  But I am curious if there are any obvious messages being sent by the in-laws with such a great camera??  Can't imagine that is a casual decision but I could be totally missing the mark.
    We had been talking about getting a camera for our son( 1 year old) growing up. Her dad is just a buy one cry once kind of guy.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Auto mode will be find for a few weeks or maybe indefinitely depending on their interest level. Switching to A mode will give much better results. The key thing to know about photography is you are recoding light and this takes time. The shutter click you hear is the start and end of that time. Play with it. If you really want to learn more, go out close to dark and keep shooting as the sun sets. Now go look at your pictures. What happened?

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/basics/04/06.htm
    Mountain View, CA