Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size CI skillet do you use and single or double handle

Options
I Have a Lodge 17 in double handle skillet for use on egg but it is too large for some cooks and It is too large for the gas burners or the oven by about 2-3 inches.   I am thinking about getting another one that will be used for smaller cooks and on burners and in stove.      I would appreciate it if you could tell me which size CI you like and for what cooks.
Thanks and Happy New Year to all
I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I like my 12” best.  It has D handles.  I use it for roast chicken,taco meat and veggies. My 10 1/2 falls in at a close second.  Same items as above but on the small with lesser quantities 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    For me, there are too many to list. + you didn't say what egg you're trying to accommodate.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    This is tough, as it may not be indicated whether or not you plan on using it inside as well, and how many people. I’m not a big guy, so a #10 which is 12 inches lip-to-lip with a regular handle is all I want to fool with when it’s loaded. I do not want to travel very far and it takes two hands on the handle. I would prefer a D-handle for the egg on this. A #8–10 inch is the most handy. Easy to maneuver. Easy to pick up and bring to the table. Perfect for a couple chic breast, or peppers/onions/potatoes. Here are some pics for size comparison with 1/4 lb burgers from Costco. Cast iron is like screwdrivers. You need a full set. 

Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have 6"-12" skillets in 1" increments.All vintage Griswold or Wagner. Large egg, all fit. I don't need that many, but they're cheap around here.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I use a 12" cast iron pie pan on the egg.
    NOLA
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    I just got a 12" d handle for my Lbge for christmas, can't wait to try it out.  
    Franklin, TN
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    I've got the 17" like yours. My other one is the lid for a Lodge Double Dutch oven and works great for smaller dishes. It also adds the versatility of a CI dutch oven when used with the base.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I've got all the sizes, but I'd say a 12" would be "must have" size - they make it with a double D handle - I just cut the handle off mine rather than buying new (not a big deal with a Lodge - I wouldn't do that with a vintage piece)

Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Use the size you need.  Depends on how much working area you need.

Cast iron is useful in direct cooking because it slows down the heat transfer tremendously over steel.  Heat has to fight its way through the cast iron and acts as a buffer whereas in steel, it's instantly reactive.
    Options
    I have 2 tall side d handle pans and a Dutch oven for the egg and a separate pile of long handle pans and skillets that I use inside. For me it's easier to keep them separate knowing the egg cast iron is going to be "dirty" and the others can be set on the counter without leaving a dirt ring .
  • KennyCJR
    KennyCJR Posts: 262
    Options
    New Christmas present.  Just got it’s first coat of grease and will be used for sausage, potato, and egg tacos this morning.  

Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    12 inch skillet is the size i use most often, the 10 just hangs on the wall.  my oldest lodge does not have that D thing opposite the long handle, it fits better in the large egg. they must of added that D handle when they changed to preseasoned pans

Image result for lodge ci 12 inch skillet

the pan i use most in the egg though is a 13.5 inch carbon steel paella pan

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    I use the lodge rectangular for almost everything on my large bge -- mostly for the sear in the reverse sear, but also for burgers.  Inexpensive and incredibly versatile. Not a skillet tho.  Definitely not round either.  

Image result for lodge rectangular griddle

https://shop.lodgemfg.com/serving-griddles/cast-iron-rectangular-griddle-11-6-by-7-75.asp
    It's a 302 thing . . .