Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

prime rib mistakes

Options
first, no pics
second, egg was overly wet and would not burn clean
third, roast went into the electric oven at 235
then at 108 internal the egg was hot and burning clean so in it went til 120 internal
ive never liked the reverse sear method til now but then again it never happened =) and it was a delmonico roast, nothing as fancy as a prime rib
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Would you do it again? Are you up at the camp? The last picture I saw at the camp, the eggs were sitting down at the lake. You getting lots of rain?
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Way to adapt and overcome.  If it was enjoyed then how you got there doesn't matter.  Nail the finish-temp and enjoy the protein.  Way to front-up on the challenges. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Would you do it again? Are you up at the camp? The last picture I saw at the camp, the eggs were sitting down at the lake. You getting lots of rain?
    friday poured all day, then a freeze. bottom vent frozen stuck.  this gave me as much smoke as i would want on a beef roast, worked well for my tastes
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Way to adapt and overcome.  If it was enjoyed then how you got there doesn't matter.  Nail the finish-temp and enjoy the protein.  Way to front-up on the challenges. 

glad im not new to egging, this may have been a problem years ago
    fukahwee maine

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    That is the definition of overcoming obstacles--making it happen.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    We did a stuffed pork loin (roladen, whatever) that SWMBO made and I cooked on the egg, not too long ago.

Before this cook I had done a number of cooks around thanksgiving for work and friends and it was cold out.  Just kept adding lump and vacuumed out ash from the bottom vent.

Bottom line, got terrible smoke and I had let the egg run for about 4 hours before putting the meat on.

So I figured out what happened.  Because I had done a number of cold weather cooks, many of which were fatty meats, I had smoke condensate that had run back in the egg into the lump and it was a reflux action that self-perpetuated.  Also all the fat dripping into the lump pile and ash.  Lots of moisture in the whole system where I had to keep opening the vent just to get the 250F range I wanted to smoke at.

Despite the long time stabilizing the system, and because I was constantly accelerating the amount of burning lump, I was volatilizing all this creosote, fat and VOC throughout the cook.

It wasn't so terrible that we didn't eat it, but I threw out the leftovers and deconstructed my issue forensically where I think I can prevent it next time.

Especially in winter you need to clean out the egg and/or do some hot cooks or a series of low and slows will degrade the quality of the smoke.
    Options
    @nolaegghead Were I deep into day drinkin I may give your above some consideration but no doubt your definition of cold is mild to many here.  That said, there must be merit to your case as forensics don't mess around. 
    Perhaps I am now jinxed but I have never experienced the above, thus never taking any mitigation.  Now I am alerted, thanks.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    We did a stuffed pork loin (roladen, whatever) that SWMBO made and I cooked on the egg, not too long ago.

Before this cook I had done a number of cooks around thanksgiving for work and friends and it was cold out.  Just kept adding lump and vacuumed out ash from the bottom vent.

Bottom line, got terrible smoke and I had let the egg run for about 4 hours before putting the meat on.

So I figured out what happened.  Because I had done a number of cold weather cooks, many of which were fatty meats, I had smoke condensate that had run back in the egg into the lump and it was a reflux action that self-perpetuated.  Also all the fat dripping into the lump pile and ash.  Lots of moisture in the whole system where I had to keep opening the vent just to get the 250F range I wanted to smoke at.

Despite the long time stabilizing the system, and because I was constantly accelerating the amount of burning lump, I was volatilizing all this creosote, fat and VOC throughout the cook.

It wasn't so terrible that we didn't eat it, but I threw out the leftovers and deconstructed my issue forensically where I think I can prevent it next time.

Especially in winter you need to clean out the egg and/or do some hot cooks or a series of low and slows will degrade the quality of the smoke.
    i should have just burned it out early in the weekend,  have to do that with the maine egg often enough its usually routine. had neighbors up at the camp next door which i hadnt seen since summer so i changed the rib roast to xmas eve instead of xmas day. the ash in the bottom looked like wet mortar, 14 years there and my egg still literally sits in a puddle =) dont remember what was cooked last in it, wet eggs and back to back chicken thighs seem to make the worst smoke. made the mistake once cooking burgers with that scenario once.  have to say though that the oven to egg does pick up enough that one doesnt notice you cheated
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I think another issue is with the Roccbox and the other kamados I don't do hot cooks on the large anymore.  The hot cooks in the rotation mitigate the bad smoke you can get not cleaning out the system or doing clean burns.
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @nolaegghead Were I deep into day drinkin I may give your above some consideration but no doubt your definition of cold is mild to many here.  That said, there must be merit to your case as forensics don't mess around. 
    Perhaps I am now jinxed but I have never experienced the above, thus never taking any mitigation.  Now I am alerted, thanks.  ;)
    @l@lousubcap It's been in the 40s.  I think the smokeware cap acts as a condensation surface when it's cool out and the flow through the egg is low because I'm running it as low as I can.

I get that black condensate running down the outside of my egg....I imagine it's pooling up and running down the inside also.

Anyway, like anything, it's a working theory.  I'll have to snap a few FLIR photos, they can be illuminating so to speak.