Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My plate setter is going

Options
njl
njl Posts: 1,123
I just put on a 11.6lb (trimmed to 10lb) prime full packer from Costco, but in the process of getting things setup, noticed I've got some big cracks all the way through my plate setter.  A quick google suggests I'm way out of warranty on it (3 years?). 

So, the question is, what to do?  I've read about people gluing them back together with JB Weld.  I have a hard time believing that'll be durable.

I'd heard of cast iron plate setters, and just found this:
https://www.atbbq.com/paragon-casual-cast-iron-plate-setting-big-green-egg.html

Or, maybe it's time to upgrade to a CGS adjustable rig R&B combo?  Will my aftermarket cast iron cooking grid work on top of one of those?

My one concern with the cast iron plate setter is I have one of those second level swing brackets that was a group buy here many years ago, and I have to have things placed just so, to be able to close the dome with both grids in place.  With the CI plate setting having slightly taller legs, I might have to either find a slightly smaller upper grid or have the bracket cut to reduce its height.

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    AR from the CGS.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    The AR rig is certainly the most expandable and diverse option and probably the easiest to get in/out etc. With the rig and the stone--153.00

A slightly less expensive option is to find a local art supplies or more specifically a pottery/kiln supplies store and purchase a kiln shelf-- it looks exactly like a pizza stone except it's thicker. Place this on a grate on the fire ring--probably 75.00--total--for grate and shelf. 

Advantage--can be used for pizza and it covers more surface area than the stone that fits in the AR for large cooks.
    Disadvantage--Not insignificant--PIA to get out of the egg when it's hot for reverse sear.  

Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Call Tom @tjv and get a setup that would work best for you.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    i did the oval R&B combo from the ceramic grill store, you wont be disappointed

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited December 2018
    Options
    IMO platesetter's suck. As Darian said what you said: time to upgrade to a CGS adjustable rig R&B combo. Call Tom!
    I had two picked up at Fests and never looked for them. Call Tom
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• njl
    Options
    I was seriously tempted to try a CI plate setter, but since my primary uses for it are things like ribs and brisket, the AR R&B combo, despite cost, just seemed to make way more sense.  I put in my order last night for the combo plus another 18" cooking grid.

Where do people store their AR when not in use?  Just leave it in the egg, on the cart, in the garage?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    njl said:
    I was seriously tempted to try a CI plate setter, but since my primary uses for it are things like ribs and brisket, the AR R&B combo, despite cost, just seemed to make way more sense.  I put in my order last night for the combo plus another 18" cooking grid.

Where do people store their AR when not in use?  Just leave it in the egg, on the cart, in the garage?
    If its not in the egg after the last cook, its out on the table next to it. TX sun and rain haven't done much to it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Large or XL egg?

Don't waste your time trying to glue it.  Your just setting yourself up for failure in the near future when it breaks in the middle of a cook.

Where are the cracks?  You might be able to salvage it as a half stone(s) by cutting the legs off.  If a leg breaks off, at least you still get a full pizza stone out of it.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    njl said:

Great purchase. You will be impressed and also continue to think of other setups for your Rig.
    I keep mine in my Egg after the cook. No real good reason to take up storage space somewhere else.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • njl
    Options
    Large or XL egg?

Don't waste your time trying to glue it.  Your just setting yourself up for failure in the near future when it breaks in the middle of a cook.

Where are the cracks?  You might be able to salvage it as a half stone(s) by cutting the legs off.  If a leg breaks off, at least you still get a full pizza stone out of it.

It's one big crack a couple inches above one of the legs going across toward about the same place above the opposite leg.  Basically, draw a line across the plate setter cutting off the section with 2 legs + a bit of margin.  I suppose I could make a partial stone out of the larger half...but I don't know what use I'd get from it.  
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    njl said:
    Large or XL egg?

It's one big crack a couple inches above one of the legs going across toward about the same place above the opposite leg.  Basically, draw a line across the plate setter cutting off the section with 2 legs + a bit of margin.  I suppose I could make a partial stone out of the larger half...but I don't know what use I'd get from it.  
    Large of XL?

Either way, use it!  If you get a woo, spider, or any grate stacker system, you can use that half stone to create a direct and indirect side.  Bge has a raised half grid you can set on top of a stone.  It's kind of nice to have veggies on it while you are wearing on the other side.  Smokeware grate raises are another way to do it.  Bring the whole grub up to the felt line, but you stick the half stone under one side.
  • njl
    Options
    It's a large.  I didn't order a woo/spider, figuring the AR R&B combo should be all I'll need.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    njl said:
    It's a large.  I didn't order a woo/spider, figuring the AR R&B combo should be all I'll need.
    You will find a way to make it work. Just being able to easily go indirect/direct by sliding out a stone or pan is excellent.
    I find that I do most of my cooking raised direct. You can always add more later.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Does CGS’s platesetter replacement stone work in their PSWOO2?
  • njl
    Options
    Well, my AR R&B combo (+ a round 18" SS cooking grid and ash rake) arrived about a week or so ago.  I've got a full packer brisket that I just finished trimming and seasoning that'll be breaking it in tomorrow morning.

I only just tried test fitting the whole setup in the LBGE and was worried at first.  The round grid on top of the AR has to be placed just right, or the dome won't close.  I started to wonder if I'd messed up thinking this combination would work.  I haven't compared their diameters, but assuming they're the same, I'm glad I ordered that extra grid, because my original grid is pretty roached, and I've been using a thick CI grid for a while now.  I really doubt that would work atop the AR.
  • tybenj
    tybenj Posts: 58
    Options
    I have a cast iron plate setter and love it. I have also had the same bge plate setter for 7 years with no issues. I do like the cast iron one for the fact I can sear things directly on it, and I can throw it in the egg if it's wet without worrying about it. I usually just leave both of them out in the rain and northern Wisconsin winters and haven't had any problems either way .
  • drumdudeguy
    Options
    I have the AR R&R combo but don't use it. I prefer the PSWoo with a spider and a 16" round stone for most cooks. The regular BGE platesetter is only about 13" in diameter. With the spider, I can use a 16" deflector which lets heat pass evenly on all sides. If you use the 13x17 stone, keep in mind the temperature reading of the dome thermometer may vary depending on how that stone is oriented (whether there is stone below the thermometer or not). Check out this video from CGS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MSy73GwnKg

Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge