Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yet another typical COSTCO story (warning)

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
Someone here has warned us nonbelievers before, but...

Long story, so I will shorten it. My wife wanted one $18 container of fancy nuts to give as a Christmas gift.

$18 HaHaHa

Add $250 to that! 

But we found a huge prime rib roast and one package of even more gorgeous 3+ pounds of Prime New York Strips.

Newbies Beware - COSTCO just might cost you more than membership fee! LOL

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Markarm4119
    Options
    I cannot control myself in the meat department, try to go in without a cart , ala consumer guru Clark Howard, doesn't work !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Ron, is this your first trip?
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Ron, is this your first trip?
    No, not at all, but I have practiced wearing "horse style blinders" while walking through there, BUT this was our worst slippage shall I say? MAN OH MAN did we buy some beautiful Prime strips and ribeye for a "mere" $200...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    I just stay away from there.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    He probably forgot to buy the nuts 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Hit the Hickerson/Henderson/Nickerson/Nickelodiun Farms kiosks in the mall, after 1 Jan.  Cheep nutz!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• KennyCJR
    KennyCJR Posts: 262
    Options
    Gonna make a Costco run tomorrow.  I need a brisket for New Year’s Day. 

We cant ever leave without one of those take and bake ~4 lb pot pies.  
    Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    KennyCJR said:

SWMBO says I can`t go by myself anymore. I can see Costco from my office. Going tomorrow. ...can't.  Help.  It
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    Options
    I give my fancy nuts away just for the asking 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I go for the cheaper gasoline. About all I want from there is steaks, maybe a sweatshirt if there's a good one, and cashews. Though I do grab mobil 1 oil occasionally when it's on sale. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Bentgrass
    Options
    Ron, I feel your pain.... wish I had a dime for every time I went in there for a few things and spent 200 + !
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Bentgrass said:
    Ron, I feel your pain.... wish I had a dime for every time I went in there for a few things and spent 200 + !
    If you have their exec membership, you get $4+ for every time you spend $200.  Better than dime.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    I just got the Costco credit card too, it’s got some nice perks. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    I once realized a way to save $100/week....it was easy, make one trip to Costco each week instead of two trips.  :)
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • OshawaDave
    Options
    If I can get out of there for less that $250.....it's a good day!!

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    All I can say Ron is welcome to the club. I have even tried bringing in a list and sticking only to that. Never happens. Not saying it goes sideways every time. But something makes it in the cart that "shouldn't" be there.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    KennyCJR said:

SWMBO says I can`t go by myself anymore. I can see Costco from my office. Going tomorrow. ...can't.  Help.  It
    There’s a Costco in apex?! 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options
    All of you plebes make me laugh.  I can't go in to Costco without spending at least $80,000 on meats and beauty supplies.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Like you said, horse-blinders. I wasn't 10' in the store before I had a $100 weather station loaded into the cart that I never knew I wanted. Thankfully my wife removed it while I was drooling over at the meat counter. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • rekameohs
    Options
    RRP said:
    Add $250 to that!

It is amazing the things you find at Costco that you didn't know you needed!

One tip for new shoppers - if you see something and are thinking about buying it, buy it now.  It will probably not be there when you come back in a couple days.
    Raleigh, NC
  • frazzdaddy
    Options
    KennyCJR said:

Right across from the dealership next to the new Academy Sports. lol, it's entrapment I say.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    KennyCJR said:

Right across from the dealership next to the new Academy Sports. lol, it's entrapment I say.
    I like Academy.  It’s what Dicks aspires to be.
  • frazzdaddy
    Options
    Legume said:
    KennyCJR said:

I like Academy.  It’s what Dicks aspires to be.
    I was blown away when it opened and have spent waaayy too much$$ in there.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Bentgrass
    Options
    Legume said:
    Bentgrass said:
    If you have their exec membership, you get $4+ for every time you spend $200.  Better than dime.
    I really like spending the rewards check in the meat department.  Don’t have room in the freezer this year.. may have to spend it on a stand alone freezer this year !
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    KennyCJR said:

Crazy, I lived in Summit lake apartments behind the Kroger for a year in 01'
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• frazzdaddy
    Options
    KennyCJR said:

Crazy, I lived in Summit lake apartments behind the Kroger for a year in 01'
    Land Rover and Chrysler were in the Autopark then I think. We opened this store in 03
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I really don't have any issues myself. But when the wife walks in I have to herd her like a sheep or else I too will walk out having spent $200-$300. My idiot childhood buddy lives 2 doors down from me and they buy groceries there. Probably spend $200-$300 a week in there. My guess is they throw half the stuff away because they cant use it all before it goes bad. It's also funny sitting in the food court and observing what everyone walks out with. Every one of those oversized carts is overflowing with bottled water and 40 roll packs of toilet paper and paper towels. Meanwhile I walk out with my $30 Prime Brisket and a receipt. Also, in case anyone was wondering. No I have not tried to return a cooked Brisket and the Tree is still in my living room right now.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Bentgrass said:
    Legume said:
    Bentgrass said:
    I really like spending the rewards check in the meat department.  Don’t have room in the freezer this year.. may have to spend it on a stand alone freezer this year !
    You are doing it wrong. Never use the rewards check at the register. Go to customer service first and cash it like you weren't going to shop today. Then go shop and put it on the credit card so you get the cash back bonus on the full amount. The cash goes into the checking account to pay the CC bill. If you use the check at the register, you don't get the 2% or 4% or whatever it is on the amount the check was for. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.