Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Toaster Oven Recommendations - OT

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,026
We currently have a hand me down toaster oven. It has to be from the 70's. It's a pile of junk. I've never owned any other type of toaster oven. Any brand recommendations or features that you like with yours? Thanks for the help!

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I noticed last week my Costco had added a sharp looking toaster oven.  Sorry, didn't notice the brand.

Phoenix 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I know a lot of people really like the Breville smart ovens. I was eyeballing the smart oven air, which is a toaster oven and an air fryer...but it is pretty pricey. 

I have a cheap Hamilton Beach. It has been fine for a couple of years but has a mechanical timer that sticks and I think the heating elements might be going (they take a long time to warm up). When I replace it I will go with something with a digital timer. I would also like one that is designed to slide the grid out when you open the door. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I have a Breville Smart oven and love it.  I don't have the one with the air fry feature, but that looks interesting.  This oven heats up very fast and has convection.  It has a bunch of settings and I like having an internal light.  I cook everything from bacon, whole chicken and even bread in it.  We rarely use the range oven anymore.  The toaster oven, grills and stove top do about 90+% of our cooking. (there are only two people in our house)

Here is an old thread on this topic.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Ditto here on the Breville Smart Oven!  Love it!!  Best deal is probably at BB&B with one of their 20% off coupons.
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 234
    Options
    Double ditto the Breville.  Their toasters are da bomb, too!

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Aside from this thread, I have it on good authority that the Breville Smartoven is nice, though I don't own one. Sounds like others agree. It is also a convection oven and can function as an Air Fryer, to some degree.

Mine is a GE. $50 from walmart (not convection and no longer available, but I assume the GE brand is). Does a nice job as an oven, I use it to re-heat stuff all the time as well. Never tried toasting anything in it. It also has a rotisserie feature large enough for a couple of game hens or a small chicken. Does a great job as a spinner!

I bought it because I was looking for an auxiliary oven tall enough to do popovers while something else was in the regular oven at a different temp (long before I bought an egg). Anyway, I bought my egg in 2009 so the toaster oven has held up for a while now.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    We have a Breville and love it.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    edited December 2018
    Options
    We use our toaster oven more than our oven.  For years we have used a model we bought at Sam's Club, but now am thinking of getting this Cuisinart combo air fryer/toaster oven.

Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    I have a Cuisinart steam oven.  It has a toaster function but I mostly use it as a steam oven.  Cooks meat fast and keeps it moist.  
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    I have this one, bought it to replace my 12 year old Cuisinart, this thing is solid and works great!!! Highly recommended 
    Image result for Cuisinart toaster oven
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Depends I suppose on what you do with one. Mostly toast or mostly bake? 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Depends I suppose on what you do with one. Mostly toast or mostly bake? 
    It would be more for my wife. Truthfully I wouldn't even know how to work my current oven. I've never once turned it on the 8 years I've lived here. The oven takes longer than my eggs take to get to temp. So I've always just used the egg when I'm cooking. 

I figure if I can get something a little smaller and quicker to heat up it might be worth looking into. Our current toaster oven is a headache to use. It's small and cramped. All around a terrible design. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota