Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Salmon Recipe

Options
I haven't warm smoked a salmon in years.  The last one I did was using Alton Brown's recipe and it was waaaay too salty.

Any suggestions for a dry brine recipe and length of brine?  This will be warm smoked at about 200 - 225 using alder wood.

Thanks in advance.
Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet

Comments

• BobDanger
    Options
    My next fish smoke I’m going to soak in cheap Bourbon with a salt and brown sugar mix.

Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • Bayou_Buzzard
    Options
    Here has been my go to. It’s benn a while. Time for another one. 
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1210716/smoked-salmon#latest
    From the shores of Lake Michigan.  Grand Haven.
    Unsalted and Shark Free
    XL.  Woo Adjustable Rig Combo.  Flame Boss 300.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Thanks @Bayou_Buzzard - nice looking salmon
    Memphis, TN 

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I have made this three times and love the results, in fact, just smoked a few slivers on Saturday!

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1214913/smoked-sockeye-salmon-my-way-pic-heavy

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Thx @smbishop.  That looks great.  I’m gonna do a pre x-mas test cook this week. I’ll post the results. 
    Memphis, TN 

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    edited December 2018
    Options

I used a dry "brine" of kosher salt, brown sugar, and black pepper. I put it on heavy on both sides and let it sit 12 hours in the fridge in a glass pan covered with Saran Wrap. After rinsing very well it sat uncovered in the fridge for three hours to dry. It smoked for six hours on the egg with lump and big chunks of apple and pecan. Temp was between 180 and 200 except for the last hour, when I let it run up to 250. Internal temp was 160 when I pulled it. 

It was awesome. Not too salty as a result of rinsing very well after the brine stage. I've followed this recipe many times and it always works out great.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    I have a wife who finally conceded to all my BBQing once I smoked salmon.  The second or third time I did it, she loudly complained it was too salty.  Now I've got it dialed in.  It's a balance of salt and time.

Here's my recipe:

Christmas 2017 Super Simple Salmon Brine

• 1 gal water

• 1 cup kosher salt

• 1 cup brown sugar

• Brine in refrigerator for about 4-6 hours

• Air dry with fan to create pellicle

• Smoke at 150F-200F for 2-3 hours

Never heard anyone say it was too salty, and it looked and cooked up very nicely.

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...