Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Short Ribs wrap or not?

Options
I have some Creekstone Prime Short ribs on the way.  First time cooking beef ribs so my question is should I plan on wrapping and if so what temp (170)? Or just let them roll?

I appreciate the insight!
LG BGE
36" Blackstone
Weber Genisis
Cold IPA on tap!

Comments

• Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    Options
    I don't wrap beef ribs at all. Let it roll!  
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I put them in a foil pan and cover. Essentially a wrap. I just do it to expedite the cook and retain a little moisture maybe. I would say the bark formation is as big a driver as the temperature. Anytime after the bark is good and set and the internal temp is 150 you can wrap if desired. If the bark softens too much for your liking, just unwrap and return to cooker to firm the bar. Never been an issue with mine. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    No wrap here.  But there are many roads to tastyville. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Spillin
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys.  My only thought for wrapping them was keeping them moist.  It's most likely going to be a game day decision depending on when I get them on. If I'm running a tad late I'll wrap them up to speed it along. 
    LG BGE
    36" Blackstone
    Weber Genisis
    Cold IPA on tap!
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I use the Franklin Method. Louisiana hot sauce, S&P and cook at 285 for 5-6 hrs. Post Oak for smoke. Once the ribs pass the toothpick test they are done.
  • Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    Options
    One thing you don't have to worry about with ribs, is keeping them moist... 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Another no wrap here.  But I'm lazy.  As above, toothpick test for the win.  Brisket on a stick. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    +1 on the hot sauce binder. I also recommend a pepper heavy rub. 
  • Spillin
    Options
    @dstearn
    That is what my plan is gonna be!  Do you notice any of the hot sauce or is it more of just a binder?
    LG BGE
    36" Blackstone
    Weber Genisis
    Cold IPA on tap!
  • coachbriseno
    Options
    I finish mine in a foil pan wrapped.  I have also done it without wrapping.  Good luck.
    Large BGE (2008) - Weber Summit (2018)
    210 TX
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited December 2018
    Options
    No wrap here.  S&P only.  Either hot sauce or worchester as binder.  275 till it passes toothpick test.  Way easier than brisket and just as good (actually, I like ribs better than brisket) 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    ^^^^^^^ What this guy said^^^^^^^
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL