Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help needed

Options
hey i am working on something with my buddy from jjgoerge and we need some temps from the bottom of the egg.  if anyone is doing a reverse sear in the next few days and has the egg ripping hot that can maybe measure it safely i would really appreciate it.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    What do you mean by "from the bottom of the egg"?  Surface temp of the ceramic on the outside? Inside? below or above the fire? etc  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    the very bottom of the egg on the exterior of the ceramic.

Boiler Up!!

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,516
    edited December 2018
    Options
    'jjgoerge' as in JJ George grill torch?

I don't use KAB but I would think the bottom exterior may be hotter with KAB sans stock CI lump grate.

canuckland
  • Kent8621
    Options
    Yeah that is correct he also makes tables and things.

Boiler Up!!

• jtcBoynton
    edited December 2018
    Options

I don't use KAB but I would think the bottom exterior may be hotter with KAB sans stock CI lump grate.

True.  I would also expect the bottom to be hotter using the CI lump grate compared to the ceramic lump grate.

Amount of ash in pit should also make a difference.

Amount of charcoal in fire pit could also make a difference.

Anyone taking temps should provide info on these variables.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Really appreciate the clarity of language being pursued here.  Eliminate the variables to get the results.  Somehow I think this could be a protracted exercise.   The outcome to be subject to a few counter discussions.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    Anyone have a good method for accurately measuring the surface temp of the bottom of the egg?  Not a lot of room to get a good angle for an IR temp gun. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• Kent8621
    Options
    i struggled with that last night.  then i remembered my multi meter has a thermocouple attachment and that is my plan this weekend for testing i got home from work to late last night.  if its not in a table i think it will be easier

Boiler Up!!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    ive burnt wood under the egg with 400 internal to 850 internal dome temps. at 400 dome it was a long turkey cook indirect, i used to do alot of quick direct sears at 850 dome.(would ignites around 356 f but ignites at lower temps with repeated cycles of heat) you wont get accurate temps because indirect  setups seem to radiate more heat downward verse direct setups and the time for the bottom to soak up heat varies with different cooks.  no telling how hot a 1200 degree pizza cook gets, about 1200f dome temp is where it will hover with the bottom vent wide open and no daisy on top and no fan devices. 1200 dome will burn the bottom clean white
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Kent8621
    Options
    anyone have a chance to check this over the weekend?

Boiler Up!!

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options

1882°F in the lump, indirect set up with a 15" stone. hope someday to bust the 2K mark......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.