Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New bands or old bands?

Long story short.... I have the ability to upgrade my current BGE bands free of charge to the newer model. I’ve tried them in stores before and am not a big fan of the limited opening space....but I love how easy it is to open the dome. 

Is it worth upgrading? 
Atlanta, GA 

LBGE, Mini-Max, Mini, 1995 BGE Chiminea, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E-310. 

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Old ones suck,upgrade. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Free is free. Grab them if you have the chance. Use them once the older ones go out
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho said:
    Free is free. Grab them if you have the chance. Use them once the older ones go out
    There is a slight catch....I have 3-4 days to make the decision and then either I have new bands or old bands on my egg and no free option will exist after that. 
    Atlanta, GA 

• I've considered making the switch myself. I'd definitely go with the new ones, especially if replacements are free.
    Stillwater, MN
  • I've considered making the switch myself. I'd definitely go with the new ones, especially if replacements are free.
    But why?   Most say to upgrade...but why?   Lol 
    Atlanta, GA 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I might be the odd one out but I prefer the older band. Just for the fact of accessibility on the grid
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Kevinboatright
    Kevinboatright Posts: 278
    edited December 2018
    WeberWho said:
    I might be the odd one out but I prefer the older band. Just for the fact of accessibility on the grid
    Not the odd one out.......this is the main reason I’m debating on the switch and I have no issues with my current ones. 
    Atlanta, GA 

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I was having a lot of problems with my old bands. I was reluctant to switch to the new ones, but decided that it was the best thing to do. I was nervous about the more limited opening size,  but went with the new bands anyway.  I have not found the smaller opening to be a problem. I use an adjustable rig frequently and it goes in and out easily.  I am very happy with the new bands.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • After seven years with the old style bands, cooking on it 3 or 4 times a week year round, I'm still happy with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Long story short.... I have the ability to upgrade my current BGE bands free of charge to the newer model. I’ve tried them in stores before and am not a big fan of the limited opening space....but I love how easy it is to open the dome. 

Is it worth upgrading? 
    Guess we all are wondering the nature of "the catch" that you mention in a later reply. Is your dealer rebuilding your egg or something...so you can't keep the old one on and save the new band in the box? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP said:

Is it worth upgrading? 
    Guess we all are wondering the nature of "the catch" that you mention in a later reply. Is your dealer rebuilding your egg or something...so you can't keep the old one on and save the new band in the box? 
    Bought a large egg for a steal on Craigslist. It’s a newer model than my current BGE, so I swapped over the thermometer (2in to 3in) and am now debating on the bands.

When I told my father in law of my new purchase he now wants to upgrade his medium to my new large and I sold him the Egg. He is aware I’m switching some parts and will be here Wednesday to get it.  So do I or don’t I switch the bands? 
    Atlanta, GA 

• Janlea
    Janlea Posts: 8

Id like to know how this worked out for you. I have an older LARGE egg and bought the new cap with rain cover, replaced the gasket material and thought "Id sure like the larger handle"..but Id need to replace the old bands. Mine "aren't broke" and I have lived with the small handle for a long time...just thought while I had it apart...Went to the Westlake here in KC, opened up a new egg with the new bands and thought it had a smaller opening and I dint like the loss of that. also, there is a lot going on with the springs and hinges and such. Also saw they put gasket around the outside of the chimney. wondered about ALL OF THE THINGS.

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    edited May 2019

I switched to the newer bands after 8 years. I have not had any problems with it. Works great with all of my adjustable, raised grid setups and my Joetisserie. The only downside for me is it is a bit harder to dump lump in directly from the storage bins I use. I would do it again. Also, it seems like I had to adjust the old bands a couple of time a year, haven't had to do that with the new system, I also like the larger handle.

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164

I may be old.....but I was around to see many of the great old Rock and Roll bands.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • smittydog27
    smittydog27 Posts: 100

I use a pizza porta...had to adjust/tighten the old bands alot. Upgraded to new bands, no adjusting yet. Also have ***tisserie and it fits in perfect. Use High-que gasket.

• There's no one right answer, advantages to both setups. I prefer the old bands but it's personal choice.

I don't think you'll really care in 2 years either way.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    My old bands went wonky a few months ago and I switched to the new ones, and I'm very happy with them.
    NOLA