Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well, done with the paper towel method

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,491
edited December 2018 in EggHead Forum
I'd used the paraffin squares to light my Eggs for most of the years; early last spring I tried an oil-sprayed paper towel in the bottom of the bowl (since I clean out the bottom every time since getting a KAB) and it worked fine, plus I feel you get a more even, and reliable, burn by starting your fire from the bottom, not the top (that's how a Boy Scout starts a campfire).  

As its been getting colder this fall I'm having more fails, and today it took me three tries to get a fire; apparently the oil/towel doesn't burn hot enough to light a pile of cold lump (I have had a few fails with the paraffin squares, too, as the winter comes on).  

So, I'm gonna pick up some rubbing alcohol and a syringe, and give that method a try; I seem to remember that alcohol burns pretty hot.  For those of you who use the alcohol method, do you have a way to light the fire from the bottom?  Maybe soak a paper towel with the alcohol, instead of oil?  Let me know.

I meant to try the Fritos method today, but forgot!  

I don't want to go the torch method, as my Egg is on a maybe-flammable deck (PVC decking), nor an electric starter, as they're expensive, require an extension cord, and a safe place (non-flammable and dog-proof) to set them down (plus, I'm clumsy).  Elon Musk's flamethrower is now available, but again, PVC deck.

Will post my results, fwiw.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Syringe????

i just poke a small hole on the tamper barrier and use the bottle as a squirt bottle.  
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    I like the method, but I typically use this with some extra lump:
    Weber Rapidfire Chimney Starter

Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • Botch
    Options
    Syringe????

i just poke a small hole on the tamper barrier and use the bottle as a squirt bottle.  
    Well, that saves me a couple bucks!  (my bottle of rubbing alcohol in the opioid  medicine chest has a screw-top (yeah, it's old)  

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    I know you mentioned that you didn’t want to try the electric starter for several reasons but I have been very pleased since I started using one. The egg seams to get up to temp and ready cook a lot faster than the oil/paper towel method. You don’t have to have one of the expensive looft light type lighters, I have a $10 charbroil lighter from Walmart.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I think they're onto something with the official fire starter squares. Cheap and work every time. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Is it possible the issue is more to do with lighting from the bottom than what material you're igniting?
    Stillwater, MN
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I have great luck with pouring a little veg oil on paper coffee filters and lighting in 3 places. I find if I don’t crunch them up too much they light easy and catch and stay lit. I used to use the diamond strike-a-fire sticks and they also work great. Basically the same thing as the bge squares but about a third the cost.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Botch
    Options
    Is it possible the issue is more to do with lighting from the bottom than what material you're igniting?
    Had to think about this a bit.  Yeah, the paper towel is sitting in a chilled depression, and cold ceramic has a lot more thermal mass than cold lump.  But, as I mentioned earlier, I have had a few fails with the paraffin squares up on the top of the lump, in cold weather, too.  
    Anyone here use the alcohol method in cold weather?  

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Botch said:
    Had to think about this a bit.  Yeah, the paper towel is sitting in a chilled depression, and cold ceramic has a lot more thermal mass than cold lump.  But, as I mentioned earlier, I have had a few fails with the paraffin squares up on the top of the lump, in cold weather, too.  
    Anyone here use the alcohol method in cold weather?  
    I live in Minnesota and use in the winter. Haven't used alcohol, but haven't had any problems with paper towel and vegetable oil. There seem to be lots of variations on method, but I just fold a paper towel twice then roll and twist the ends and dip 2/3 of the way into oil and then light the dry end. Usually make sure there are some smaller lump pieces or the stuff the gets reused from a previous cook in the area where it's lit and it always seems to get a glow going regardless of air temp. Good luck whichever direction you end up going.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Botch
    Options
    StillH2OEgger said:
    ...I just fold a paper towel twice then roll and twist the ends and dip 2/3 of the way into oil and then light the dry end. Usually make sure there are some smaller lump pieces or the stuff the gets reused from a previous cook in the area where it's lit and it always seems to get a glow going regardless of air temp. 
    AH!  THIS sounds interesting, totally different from the way I'd been doing it.  And, if I attach a screen to the end of my vacuum hose, that would automatically keep some small chunks in the bottom bowl to cozy up to the "oil doobie".  
    And I finally get your handle, Stillwater MN guy!   =)  While stationed up at Grand Forks, I spent many weekends/vacation days in Bemidji photographing, and a few weekends up in Baudette doing both music gigs and photography (lots of bald eagles up there).  

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Nice! Love it up in northern Minnesota. Went to college in Fargo-Moorhead area and spent a few weekends doing what college kids tend to do in Grand Forks. And yeah, the small chunks in the bottom are like kindling.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I use the Rutland squares, which are the same as the BGE squares, but cost less. Catch them on sale in Amazon for really cheap and stock up. I light from the top with 1 square broken in half and both pieces mostly buried in lump. Thankfully, it's not as cold in Texas. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Super fast and always lights. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Personally, I use a torch on a wooden deck, and am less worried about the start (for which I am present and watching) than I am about portions of the cook when I walk away.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I use oil soaked paper towels, rolled and knotted. I make these up, fill a jar and put some oil in. The ends light easy but the middles burn slow. Usually make a dip in the lump and put a couple of small pieces of lump on top. The fire always goes down into the lump anyway, that's where the air is coming from.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Wait, you light from underneath the pile of lump?
    I like the method, but I typically use this with some extra lump:
    Weber Rapidfire Chimney Starter

Use that over the propane side burner on your gas grill and it works great.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Botch
    Options
    Yes.  Shake the KAB to remove excess ash and set aside, vacuum the bottom of the bowl, wad the paper towel into the bottom, squirt with oil, and I usually light it and immediately replace the KAB, top off with more new lump if required, and go with it.  
    Per @StillH2OEgger 's suggestion, today I'll try rolling/dipping a paper towel, lay it in the bottom with the dry end poking into the air channel, lay some small pieces on top of the towel, replace the KAB, and then light the dry end through the bottom intake, see how that works a few times.  
    I still like the idea of lighting from the bottom, as heat rises and "primes" the lump above; the air is going to travel upwards regardless.  

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Botch said:
    Yes.  Shake the KAB to remove excess ash and set aside, vacuum the bottom of the bowl, wad the paper towel into the bottom, squirt with oil, and I usually light it and immediately replace the KAB, top off with more new lump if required, and go with it.  
    Per @StillH2OEgger 's suggestion, today I'll try rolling/dipping a paper towel, lay it in the bottom with the dry end poking into the air channel, lay some small pieces on top of the towel, replace the KAB, and then light the dry end through the bottom intake, see how that works a few times.  
    I still like the idea of lighting from the bottom, as heat rises and "primes" the lump above; the air is going to travel upwards regardless.  
    Try lighting from the top, the fire goes downwards towards the airflow very quickly (lid shut, vents open).