Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What spices do you deem necessary for smoking/bbq/cooking on the Egg

Options
2»

Comments

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Thanks for the input. One reason for asking was that I would rather make my own rubs than buy a rub. Most have sugar and wifee is on Keto. I try to avoid sugar as much as possible.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    AlbuKirky Green Chile Rub has no sugar. Try albukirky. com
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    gdenby said:
    I'm the poster child for "Can't resist buying a new spice or blend." I have far more on hand than makes any sense....
    Oh, I can't say I completely practice what I preach.  ;) I have a huge number of herbs and spices, and a fair number of pre-mixed rubs and spice mixtures (some I've made, plus Dizzy Pig, Caribeque, Everglades, many others).

It's just that (a) I very much DO notice that they're not as good after a while, and I have to replace them, and almost all of them are things I bought because I was going to use them.  But of course after I use them, I still have some left over, so they build up.

But again, because I absolutely do experience them not being as good after a while, I just wanted to warn someone against just buying stuff because someone recommended it for a well balanced spice rack, but only to buy them if he's going to use them pretty soon.
  • Deadbird80
    Options
    While not absolutely necessary....celery seed is the secret ingredient in my bbq rub. It’s super strong so a very little bit does the trick. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    fresh spices...then cook the bejesus out of them, might have well been a year old.  Aromatics oxidize with age or evaporate on a low and slow.  there are some tricks from this old chemist.  but you can't do that much with a slab of meat cooked 12 hrs insofar as aromatics unless you spice late or have fat or use a shitloadd.  With technical cooking  in the kitchen it's much more important and interesting.   BBQ is pretty much a salt, sugar, sour bitter smoke thing with texture fat, bla bla bla.  

Options
    Thanks for the input. One reason for asking was that I would rather make my own rubs than buy a rub. Most have sugar and wifee is on Keto. I try to avoid sugar as much as possible.
    Also make all your rubs salt free.  Salt or brine the meat separately from the spice rub.  Salt free rubs give you more options.  You can add as much or as little of a salt free rub as you like without having to worry about over or under salting the meat.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.