Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Go Pro advice

Options
GrillSgt
GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
edited November 2018 in Off Topic
I need to buy a camera and video a horse in his stall for a couple of hours while no one is in the barn. Several reviews say Go Pro isnt good in cold. Not sure how cold that means. Any advice or suggestions appreciated. 

Comments

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I have a Hero 4 Black.  I like the results of my videos and stills.  I would think any Go Pro would last at least 2 hours in any temperature.  I use mine just enough that I have to re-learn all the controls each time I take it out.  Versatile and fun.  I would buy again.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • NJ_BBQ
    NJ_BBQ Posts: 137
    Options
    I cannot speak to the GoPro, but if wifi is available you can consider using an outdoor Nest camera
    Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    smbishop said:
    I have a Hero 4 Black.  I like the results of my videos and stills.  I would think any Go Pro would last at least 2 hours in any temperature.  I use mine just enough that I have to re-learn all the controls each time I take it out.  Versatile and fun.  I would buy again.
    I have the same. It should be fine in the cold. I wouldn’t leave it there overnight but a couple hours will be fine.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• GrillSgt
    Options
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Go pro batteries don’t last very long. I never got anywhere close to a few hours out of a charge. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Is this a one-time deal or a regular occurrence? If it is one time, borrow a digital camcorder and set it up. That the easy way to get a couple of hours recording. The tiny digital cameras get maybe an hour of battery. 
    If it is a regular recording and you have internet or wifi that will reach there, get the Netgear Arlo and setup a couple of wireless cameras in there. Good for security at night as well. They record any movement and have IR night vision. Records to the cloud and accessible over the internet. Can even live stream. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• toolndie7
    Options
    I agree with the battery not lasting that long. Ive plugged mine in to a charger while it was recording and it actually generates some heat while charging. I did a time lapse video last year for over 9 hrs it was probably only in the 40's though.
    Rhode Island
  • Woadie
    Woadie Posts: 154
    Options
    Why not get a trail camera?   They have a video mode and would last longer.  
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    That might be an option, I'll look into it. The last video camera I had probably weighed 10-12lbs.  :s