Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Turkey Cook in Joetisserie

Options
A couple of years ago, my wife got me a tremendous birthdya present: a XL BGE. It was my first foray into kamado cooking; I’d been a Weber kettle man all my life, like my father before me. The only thing I missed about my Weber was rotisserie cooking. For me, theres no beating the texture and flavor of a rotisseried chicken or leg of lamb. So, this year, for an anniversary gift, my wife got me a Joetisserie. (She’s a keeper.) I’ve done a few chickens and been very, very happy. I decided that Thanksgiving weeekend would be as good a time as any to try a turkey, since we didn’t get any leftovers from my cousins’ Thanksgiving Day party.  

I used an old Butterball from the deep freeze, dry brined overnight and seasoned with a heavy hand of the Mad Max Turkey seasoning from Dizzy Pig. The bird was about 14 pounds.  I banked the coals to one side, held in place with CGS angle l brackets. Lit and set vents at 350°ish. I spun it for just under two hours. I pulled at 160° IT in the breast. The taste was phenomenal. The skin was perfect. The meat was almost perfect. The breast could’ve been juicier. I think that next time I will pull at 155°. A very simple, very tasty cook. Pics, etc., follow. Thanks for looking. 

Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
XLBGE, MiniMax BGE

Comments