Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook on BGE

Options
i heard to burn at a low temp at first... true? Any recommendations for a first run? 
Edwardsville, IL (Near St. Louis, MO)
Large Big Green Egg & Weber Genesis II 

Comments

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    pork butts are easy and a great go to.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I have also heard to not go too high at first.   A good first cook is a spatchcock chicken, followed by a turbo pork butt.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Welcome to the egg world.  Go to https://biggreenegg.com/getting-started/#lighting the "getting started" section to learn all about your new egg.

Yes low temps at first. What BGE says:

Do NOT Cook at High Temperatures Your First Use

This may damage the gasket before it can properly seat itself. Your first few cooks should be under 350°F/177°C to allow the gasket adhesive to fully cure and adhere to the EGG. If you do damage the gasket, you can easily replace it with a self-adhesive high temperature replacement gasket available from any Big Green Egg dealer.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Should you land on the highly recommended spatch-**** chix here's a link to the process and recipe:
    That site also contains a wealth of ceramic cooker info. 
    Only challenge I see right out of the gate for the pork butt is temperature control over the cook duration if going L&S.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NC_Egghead
    Options
    Welcome to the forum and all that is BGE, and MORE! I agree with @JethroVA, do a spatchcock chicken. It’s an easy, relatively quick and very forgiving cook. Above all else, just enjoy experimenting.
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    300 to 500 is just fine on your new Egg. Seen lots of 600/700 at EggFests and no problems. 
    just go enjoy. And no you do not need ( or have to have) 700 to do a pizza. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    lousubcap said:

That site also contains a wealth of ceramic cooker info. 

In addition to nakedwhiz.com, I learned a lot from thirdeye when starting out and still go back to his site:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html

Welcome, ask questions and post photos!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    If you’re new to bbq do a chicken. If you’re just new to egging I’d say do your favorite Q and see how it compares to your other cookers 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf