Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Black Friday

Options
GrillSgt
GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
edited November 2018 in Off Topic
Is this the quietest in history? Doesn’t seem like anything outrageous in any category. Usually my inbox is full of good offers. From toys to electronics to kitchen stuff. 

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Economy’s doing okay and many people don’t shop in brick and mortar if they can help it. My bet is they aren’t going to give up the margin
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    Botch said:
    I've actually been getting quite a few more emails than normal.  

While watching the shoppers from yesterday on the news this morning, it occurred to me it must be a uniquely American thing, to cut short or even dismiss a holiday dedicated to giving thanks for what you have, and instead rush out to get "more".   :|
    Well, when one's economy is based on incessant consumption...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GrillSgt
    Options
    After I posted I thought it’s probably because I have most of them blocked. If I remember correctly last year people were posting great deals all day long. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    We had at least one shooting in Alabama somewhere.  Not sure if it was over a DVD player or TV or something else.  This was my daughter’s (14yo) first trip out in a Black Friday.   She headed out w a friend and their mom around noon.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    No Black Friday shopper here unless you count a stop at the local grocery store a couple of hours ago.  Only data point I have is that it took a record length of time for the credit card transaction to process.  Many are pounding the CC's today. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HighHeat
    HighHeat Posts: 218
    Options
    Who cares?
    Memphis, TN
  • deadlyfrog
    Options
    HighHeat said:
    Who cares?
    I'll second that! Maybe a Facebook account would be better.
  • BugFreak72
    Options
    With all the month long sales and black friday this and black friday that I think the whole event has been so diluted by retailers it is no big deal now. That said, I don't leave my house on Black Friday unless I absolutely have to. 
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    I started the thread and I certainly wasn’t talking about mall shopping. I was speaking only about online sales. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Economy’s doing okay and many people don’t shop in brick and mortar if they can help it. My bet is they aren’t going to give up the margin
    Agreed. Stupid to give up the margins this year. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    thetrim said:
    We had at least one shooting in Alabama somewhere.  Not sure if it was over a DVD player or TV or something else.  This was my daughter’s (14yo) first trip out in a Black Friday.   She headed out w a friend and their mom around noon.  
    The shooting was in Hoover AL at the Riverchase Galleria mall. I was in the mall a week ago before the shooting. I was concerned about safety on that visit. Lots of people milling around through the mall that really didn't appear to have shopping on their mind. They would randomly group up into clusters of 5 or so people and stand in the main traffic areas and make other shoppers walk around them.
    It's sad really. The Galleria was the premier mall in Alabama for many years, I don't know if it's the overall decline of Hoover, or if bad people are coming to the mall from other areas. The shooter was from another community that has really been in a state of decline for many years.