Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Shot at Smoked Salmon

Options
Dry brined overnight with kosher salt, brown sugar and a bit of onion powder, garlic and celery salt.  Found the recipe from a US Park Service Ranger at Denali on the web.  I'm surprised I've been able to keep the temp at around 200, 208 right now, but definately have to keep doing a few adjustments.

Been on for about 1.5 hrs.  Gonna bast a couple with a spicy teriyaki with some fatali and see how it comes out.  More to come.

LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Looks great- I normally make the Naked Whiz version and it’s always a crowd pleaser. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,511
    Options
    I am a big believer in the low-temp performance when it really dosen't matter on the LBGE.  It seems to behave quite well there when smoking down peppers.  But any way you can manage that low temp smoke is a bonus. Great looking salmon-don't know your finish-line metric but I declare victory between 135-140*F on the fillets.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Finished.  Definitely need to cut back on the salt in the brine recipe and pull it off a little sooner.  I like the teriyaki basted, but overall it is certainly edible and I won't be paying $16-20 p/lb for smoked salmon.

@lousubcap I didn't check temp, just by feel and they got a little dry, will definitely use the Thermopen next time.  Thanks

Any suggestions for dry brine?  Most of the ones I saw called for a 1:2 ratio of salt to brown sugar which seems to be a bit to salty.

Warming the egg back up to grill some chicken w/siratcha/soy/honey sauce

After a few samples

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I had the same issue with the salt my first time. Next time, rinse well in cold water several times. Soak if need be. It will be fine. I use 3 to 1 sugar to salt too. It just needs to cure a bit longer. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,511
    Options
    @logchief no suggestions with the dry brine as I go with a wet brine that for the main ingredients measures out at 4 cups water, 1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar.  I then generally go with thyme, ground pepper and a couple of bay leaves for the aromatics.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    @Teefus @lousubcap Super, thanks for the tips.  I'll be doing more soon as I don't think this will last.