Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Turkey Question

Options
EggDan
EggDan Posts: 174
edited November 2018 in EggHead Forum
I have been using Mickey’s method for years and am looking to change things up (only a little). 

I would like to get a little more flavor throughout the meat. I’m thinking about brining for 24 hours then air drying for 24 hours. 

Has anyone had success brining a Spatchcocked Turkey? What recipe did you use? 

Thanks!

Comments

• TheBrewerMoose
    Options
    Spatchcock is the bomb.  I use various rubs, various smoke varietals. The thing about the spatch method is the even cooking, the crispy skin, the reliability of the results.  Unless you literally forget the bird is on, its nearly foolproof.

I'm not a big briner, but have enjoyed many brined birds... it just seems like a lot of work.

I definitely air dry my wings when I do a batch.  it makes a big difference in the mouthfeel of the skin.  Also, a full spatch chicken air dried in fridge for a day or two with some olive oil, you'll see a noticeable difference in the tackiness and adherence of the rub post cook.  Just my $0.02.

Strongsville, OH

• TheBrewerMoose
    Options
    BTW go tribe!

Strongsville, OH