Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Remove skin or not on turkey breast

Options
I have been thinking of doing two turkey breasts about 8 lb each using the
Franklin method of removing skin but wife says to leave skin on so will be more moist.   Either way will wrap with butter .  How do you do it and why
I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Until turkey day was hyjacked from me, I was gonna do just that. Test out the skinless breasts. Do it, and post the results. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    THis years plan is skinless.  Using the skin to make a dark meat roulade. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I do Franklin-style split turkey breast fairly regularly.  While i have never left the skin on, skin-off has never yielded a unsatisfactory result.  That might be because of the 1/2 lb of butter, but regardless, it’s dang tastey 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    The skin is the best part.  I don't understand the question.  :tongue:

During the only barbeque competition I've ever been in, I noticed a guy being meticulous with his cheekun wangs, and I asked him what he was doing.  He peels the skin off the wings, and was scraping the fat off the inside of the skin, using a small X-acto knife blade (I'm not kidding!) and he said he then re-fastened the skin with toothpicks, which were removed before turning into the judges.  Said it made the skin cracklingly-crisp.
    It was right about then I decided comp barbeque was not for me.  Wow.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Botch said:

During the only barbeque competition I've ever been in, I noticed a guy being meticulous with his cheekun wangs, and I asked him what he was doing.  He peels the skin off the wings, and was scraping the fat off the inside of the skin, using a small X-acto knife blade (I'm not kidding!) and he said he then re-fastened the skin with toothpicks, which were removed before turning into the judges.  Said it made the skin cracklingly-crisp.
    @Botch that works really for chicken thighs, especially if you do muffin tin chicken.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Legume said:
    Botch said:

@Botch that works really for chicken thighs, especially if you do muffin tin chicken.
    @fishlessman did a great post on this a few years ago. Amazing how much crap he scraped off the back of the skin.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    How about the half Lemon method?

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Skin on for me.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow