Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Himalayan Salt Block Grilling

Options
I’ve tired this method several times and it’s turned out great every time.  The great thing is that the flavor of the block seasons as it cooks.  Here are some seared tuna steaks and lobster tails.  If you use this method try and put the salt block on the grill as early as possible.  The block needs to heat slowly as the egg heats.  If you put on direct fire cold it could crack.  

Comments

• ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Greetings-

I would appreciate details on set up for both items - temp of egg, length of time on block, # of times flipping, etc. Does the salt overpower the taste of the fish or does it just season it? Might pull the trigger on getting one, just need to know what it requires. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    Looks great, but I'd be a bit concerned about using a salt block with ahi tuna steaks...I prefer those to be seared as quickly as possible.  
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • ChrisLowery26
    Options
    Greetings-

I would appreciate details on set up for both items - temp of egg, length of time on block, # of times flipping, etc. Does the salt overpower the taste of the fish or does it just season it? Might pull the trigger on getting one, just need to know what it requires. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Not a problem. The lobster was split with kitchen shears and bathed in melted butter and minced garlic. The egg was still heating for the tuna so it was around 400. I put the directly on the grill for about a minute meat side then transferred them to the block for another 1-1.5 meat down. Flipped the lobster cut side up and let them finish for another 1-1.5.  I really try not to over cook it because lobster can get chewy fast. I then took my egg 600 so the block was very hot.  I cooked the steaks around 1-1.5 minutes a side.  You can actually watch the color rise in the steaks.  I marinated the steaks for a few hours with fresh chopped ginger, lite soy, minced garlic, sesame oil and chopped green onions.  I personally don’t think the salt overpowers the fish if anything it gives it depth.  I hope this helps.    
  • ChrisLowery26
    Options
    Looks great, but I'd be a bit concerned about using a salt block with ahi tuna steaks...I prefer those to be seared as quickly as possible.  
    The block was around 600 when the tuna went on so it cooked very quickly. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I don't mean to sound like an a-hole, but I always thought this was a gimmick. It doesn't get hot enough to sear properly does it? I'd think a baking steel sprinkled with salt would achieve the same, if not better, results.  Is this one of those things that sounds like it wouldn't work in theory but actually does?
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Greetings-

Cheers,
    Not a problem. The lobster was split with kitchen shears and bathed in melted butter and minced garlic. The egg was still heating for the tuna so it was around 400. I put the directly on the grill for about a minute meat side then transferred them to the block for another 1-1.5 meat down. Flipped the lobster cut side up and let them finish for another 1-1.5.  I really try not to over cook it because lobster can get chewy fast. I then took my egg 600 so the block was very hot.  I cooked the steaks around 1-1.5 minutes a side.  You can actually watch the color rise in the steaks.  I marinated the steaks for a few hours with fresh chopped ginger, lite soy, minced garlic, sesame oil and chopped green onions.  I personally don’t think the salt overpowers the fish if anything it gives it depth.  I hope this helps.    

Perfect, thanks for the info. Definitely bookmarking this thread.

Cheers,
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • ChrisLowery26
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I don't mean to sound like an a-hole, but I always thought this was a gimmick. It doesn't get hot enough to sear properly does it? I'd think a baking steel sprinkled with salt would achieve the same, if not better, results.  Is this one of those things that sounds like it wouldn't work in theory but actually does?
    No you aren’t at all it’s a legitimate question.  This was actually a gift otherwise I probably wouldn’t have even consider buying.  I think it does work especially if you are using it to sear like I was.  It’s pretty much the same concept as using a well seasoned cast iron skillet but more flavor.  You probably could sprinkle salt and achieve the same thing.  The block doesn’t overseason or the potential for the salt to come off when cooking.  
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    We have one but use it only fo horderves. It's great for all veggies, shrimp, different kinds of already cooked meat and cheese. Put it on there and when it gets to room temp the minerals will come out the block and add great flavor. 

There  is little clean up, no worry of cracking.
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    You can get a great sear using a block
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • reinhart36
    Options
     Do you ever sear beef on that? Very interesting,  thanks for sharing! 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
     Do you ever sear beef on that? Very interesting,  thanks for sharing! 
    If it's a fatty piece then you dont want to.......way too salty.

I took some filets and sear the on both sides on the grid, then rolled them across the salt block twice.  That turned out pretty good.

Scallops and shrimp are my favs.