Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Feedback on Sous Vide Prime Rib Roast vs...

Options
I've seen quite a few threads on attempts on running a prime rib roast with sous vide and grill/high temp bake afterward, as well as a few warnings that it's not the preferred method.  Most of those threads have aged a bit themselves.  Any feedback from eggers who have tried it both ways?  We're doing the trifecta of turkey/ham/rib roast for the three big holidays, and the rib roast is the only one I haven't really got down.  Thanks!

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I’ve only done a 2wk age myself followed  by a low n slow fire until desired doneness.  I can say it had an awesome crust and the tenderness was incredible.  I’m a firm believer in the gentle heat is the way to go.  

I cant see SV bringing much to the table for this cook but I could be wrong.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I just did one two days ago.  I put it in for about 5 hours at 133 and finished it in a 500 degree oven. It was delicious!  The nice thing about doing it this way is not worrying about the finish time. You take it out when your ready and 5-10 minutes it’s on the table 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    After trying these every which way, my feeling is that it's an easy roast to cook - it comes out great no matter what - forward sear, reverse sear, no sear, SV all work fine.  Honestly, like Matt says, the no sear is easiest. If you want to firm up the crust at the end you can always open the egg and get it up hot at the end to brown the crust more.

SV is great for making the timing easy.  We use it a fair amount.  I find bagging a big roast with giant bones sticking out awkward, and I don't have a container that's a good size for the water bath - have to drag out a full size cooler.  Or I'm just getting lazy :)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I’ve done both. Either have been excellent. Hard to screw up a cut with that much marbling. 
    SV is great if you have a lot going on and can’t watch the Egg properly (say you have guests to entertain too) or in my case, I did sides on the Egg and just cranked the heat to finish the roast so it gave me more flexibility in how I could also use the egg for other things like apps and sides. 

My only complaint with SV is that, while it keeps the meat at the finished temp, leaving it in the water bath still breaks down connective tissue and can change the texture of the meat if left in too long (based on an initial cook with some thick steaks that I put in way too early). I like my SV for this but when meat is done it’s done. If a PR is done in 6 hrs as it likely will be, be ready to move to the grill. Now you can leave it longer but eventually the texture seems to change to something less than what you may be expecting. At least that has been my limited experience. (But those steaks were probably 4x what they should have been...)
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • TXSamIam
    Options
    Not sure it is worth the time and effort to sous vide this cut of meat.  Alton Brown had an episode on the Food Network 15 years about  how to cook a standing rib roast.  He would "age' the roast for about a week and then use a clay flower pot domed over the roast in the oven to act as a pseudo BGE.  His method is low and slow to just below desired temp, pull it, let it rest and throw it back in at 500 to crust the outside. 

I have cooked a rib roast this way every Xmas for the past 15 years and it comes out perfect every time, difference now is that I use my BGE instead of a flower pot in the oven. I am a big fan of sous vide but I don't see how it could make a rib roast any better.