Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need measurements for Large BGE table - location/height of BGE in table.

Options
I'm going to start building a table for my Large BGE.  I'm trying to figure out the following dimensions:
1. Size of shelf (WxD) where the BGE will sit on?
2. Distance from top of shelf (where the BGE sits) to top of tabletop?  (I'll be adding a piece of granite under the BGE as well but I can factor that in later).
3. Recommended height that BGE sits above the table top? 

I'm not sure if there are any standard measurements for the above questions....but any advice and/or recommendations would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Here are the dimensions I used, and you can see how it fit in the pic. All seemed to work ok. I did use the little table top nest to get airflow beneath the egg. I found a remnant piece of quartz, and had a circle cut out, then used the circle to place under the egg. 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • gmbbs
    gmbbs Posts: 110
    Options

I would not take older table plans as gospel. If you have the new style spring on your large, be aware the dome dips back down farther in the back that the traditional style hinge, and you must take this into account.

Measure twice, cut once! Good luck!

• Slippy
    Options
    gmbbs said:

I would not take older table plans as gospel. If you have the new style spring on your large, be aware the dome dips back down farther in the back that the traditional style hinge, and you must take this into account.

Measure twice, cut once! Good luck!

That's really good point. I measured 52 times, cut once... I have not studied those new hinges to see how much they dip below the rings, but definitely take that into consideration. 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • jnovakbge
    Options
    Thanks for that information.  It is very helpful.  That's a beautiful table too by the way.  I hope mine turns out as nice as yours.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Put a notch behind egg for hinge, egg can sit lower
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You don't want granite under your egg, you want air. Buy a table nest from your dealer.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Did you fabricate this yourself? I searched for something like this but settled for a nest and handler. 
  • jnovakbge
    Options
    Carolina Q.....let me restate that...I'll have my BGE in a table nest...sitting on a piece of granite.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited November 2018
    Options
    510BG said:
    Tspud1 said:
    Did you fabricate this yourself? I searched for something like this but settled for a nest and handler. 
    @Tspud1 makes awesome tables - see this link.

http://www.outdoorkitchenequip.com/
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Slippy
    Options
    Slippy said:
    Here are the dimensions I used, and you can see how it fit in the pic. All seemed to work ok. I did use the little table top nest to get airflow beneath the egg. I found a remnant piece of quartz, and had a circle cut out, then used the circle to place under the egg. 
    The above is not the right dimensions. That was an older drawing that I did not use. Below is the correct version. There is 17.5" from the lower shelf to the top of the table. I forgot I have made an adjustment for the table nest and the stone (plus I made it smaller in length to fit my deck better). I hope that helps. 15" will still work, the egg would just be popping up a bit more that what I wanted. 
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    510BG said:
    Tspud1 said:
    Yes I did, have other styles also
  • jnovakbge
    Options
    Thanks for the post Slippy.  That was very helpful.