Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brining a Turkey

Options
2»

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    So for the folks in the dry brine camp, do you rinse off the salt before you put the rub on, or do you just keep it.  I've seen most sites say to rinse, but the site above says don't rinse it off...  Definitely don't want too salty of a bird... 
    keep the salt, KOSHER SALT, at 1 tblsp per 5 pounds of turkey max. also go 3 days minimum for the salt to disperse. i put the rub on with the salt, this year went with oregano, thyme, sage, and paprika.  adding some zest like orange or lemon is good too but did not have it handy this year. no rinse.  more importantly read the turkey label, i would not do this with a solution added bird. saw a 17 percent solution added bird this year, thats nuts
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    So for the folks in the dry brine camp, do you rinse off the salt before you put the rub on, or do you just keep it.  I've seen most sites say to rinse, but the site above says don't rinse it off...  Definitely don't want too salty of a bird... 

Heck no... there should be no salt to rinse off by the time it's been sucked into the turkey. Also, don't rinse poultry in general. That just spreads the salma nasties everywhere.  

If you still have salt visible on the turkey after 24 hours you may have added too much. You want a heavy dusting, but you're not doing a salt bake shell or anything. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    keep the salt, KOSHER SALT, at 1 tblsp per 5 pounds of turkey max. also go 3 days minimum for the salt to disperse. i put the rub on with the salt, this year went with oregano, thyme, sage, and paprika.  adding some zest like orange or lemon is good too but did not have it handy this year. no rinse.  more importantly read the turkey label, i would not do this with a solution added bird. saw a 17 percent solution added bird this year, thats nuts
    Oh crap.  I thought I tamed down the Traeger recipe (https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/poultry/dry-brine-turkey) that recommended 1 tblsp per pound by only doing 1 tblsp per 2 pounds.   

Lets see how this turns out... 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    Rinse.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    https://www.epicurious.com/archive/howtocook/primers/brining-dry

I'm trusting the above for dry brining.  It talks about type and amount of salt.  I have a scale, so I may just weigh the salt before sprinkling it, or I will just eyeball it to make it look like like a light dusting of snow.  
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    how did you get that much salt to stick, even at 3 tblsp on a 16 pounder alot ended up on the table
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it