Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware Cap, Light, Adj Rig and Rainy Night Pizza

Options
Yesterday we had rain and wind gusts all
day plus we lost an hour.
Lit the egg with the Looflighter mid afternoon.
It’s great when you can use all your eggcessories at once during challenging weather conditions.

Comments

• NorthPilot06
    Options
    Looks great!  I like the way you think, a one-slice za :)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    That looks good! What light do you use? Actually, we gained an hour - hope you didn't show up two hours late for anything...

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Kayak said:
    That looks good! What light do you use? Actually, we gained an hour - hope you didn't show up two hours late for anything...
    I have the Smokeware Grill Light.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Great looking pie!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Nice cook!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • dstearn
    Options
    smbishop said:
    Nice cook!
    Thanks, It takes around 2 hours to light the XL and get it up to 450 dome temp including heating the stone for an hour.  I cheat and have the dough rolled from my local pizzeria for $2 per 12 inch pie. Cook time is 14 minutes. If I was cooking pizza for more than my wife and I then I might consider a Roccbox. 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    That is a perfectly cooked pie!  Crisp crust and the toppings look just right.

It's always a challenge... I am pretty consistent now with the bottom of the crust and the top, but I don't always get a nice brown crust on the edge.

I have learned to let my large heat up for a while, but I don't let it go for 2 hours.  Does it really take that long to thoroughly heat the stone and ceramics so everything is soaked at temp?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • dstearn
    Options
    It can take two hours as I like to get the temp up without the lower stone and Pizza stone. Once the dome temp is around 425 then I add the 17 in stone on the grate and place the pizza stone on the top rack of the adj rig. So lets say 45 minutes to get the initial temp up and then another 45 minutes to get the stones heated up. I could try placing the stones on withing 15 minutes of lighting the egg but I want to make sure the coals are hot enough first.
    I have measured with a laser heat gun and the stone gets to about 550 degrees at 425-450 dome.