Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork - drip pan?

Options
Very curious to what y’all are using between the grate and plate setter?  I have used apple juice and it gets pretty crusty toward the end of a 13-17 hour cook.  
Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.  

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Empty drip pan with an air gap between it and the platesetter. Foil balls are fine to create the gap, or copper pipe elbows. No liquid.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Powderhound
    Options
    Thanks, I use brass spacers that are about 1/2 inch tall and a Weber pan.  I heard adding salt to bottom of pan reduces burning.  Mmmmm. 
    Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.  
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    I've never used my drip pan with a pork butt. I will the next time and make gravy(?) 
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Powderhound
    Options
    I think the key is not getting the drippings to burn.  Perhaps adding some infused olive oil from one of those fancy olive oil shops? 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Not sure if you said there is an air gap. If not, make sure there is one. You might be overthinking this as a lot of folks don't feel the need to add any liquid or other substances to drip pan.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Powderhound
    Options
    Yes, I use a good 1/2 inch spacer.  I am thinking a better bark without liquid too.  
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The 'setter absorbs a huge amount of energy, and according to some IR thermometer tests I did, can reach 650F at the lower grill position. Previous to doing the tests, I'd used foil balls to lift the pan, and provide an air gap. I'd wondered why the dripping would burn.

After, I stopped using the 'setter, and just let the pan shadow the meat from the direct IR. Typically, there is enough fluid dripping from a butt that nothing starts burning till after at least 8 hours.

Any fluid w. sugar is going to be susceptible to burning. Just use plain water. Or dry wine, tho' the flavor added will be minimal unless the drippings and wine residue will go to gravy/sauce. Olive oil, or unclarified butter are likely to burn. If you want to put some oil in, go w. a high smoke point like rice bran oil.
  • distanceman
    Options
    I use the CGS set-up...Woo, 17” half moon plates, and their big stainless drip pan. I love it. The big size of aluminum foil covers the thing perfect—after a cook, I throw away the foil and just clean off the grease. No scrubbing or elbow grease needed. 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I use the big CGS stainless pan (foiled) also.  I use three BGE little feet to create an air gap
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet