Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Egg

Found a mini egg on craigslist. Guy is wanting $240 for it. Comes with the egg, stand, ash tool, and plate setter. I know it wont have any warranty but im wanting a mini or mini max. I have an XL now but most of the time I cook it’s just for me and my wife. What do you guys think is it worth $240? 

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    I’ll let Bishop Bullwinkle do the talking... 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-K7fCQlUhj0
  • As the (former) owner of two minis. Save up for the mininax.
    I've convinced myself twice now that the mini would be a useful tool. Its not. I'm sure people here will tell me I'm wrong.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    If you do get a mini and it comes with this nest, check closely for any signs of hairline cracks. And do not use the nest! Buy the redesigned one. This egg is the reason there IS a redesigned one.

I think $240 is too much. Every piece of ceramic will eventually break - you know they will!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    I've bought two Minis on Craigslist. One new and used. I paid $100/piece. $240 seems high. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Too too high. I paid $290 for a brand new one with a warranty 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • $240 is the asking price.  Is negotiation possible here (not always possible depending on who is buying, and who is selling)?  I like to go in person to negotiate.  Its much easier to talk about price reduction after you get to know the person, find out why they are selling.  Even try to talk them out of it, it builds points for you when they dismiss your conviction to keep it, and give you a discount because you are such a nice person.  Or they keep it and enjoy it more, and that is a win too.  I have a mini, I paid $80 for it about 8 years ago.  I have had to replace everything but the dome.  The costs of those parts plus the original $80 have put me at the cost of new.  Factor that in.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I’d gladly pay $200 for one. Been looking for a while now. Seems to be more of a unicorn than the chiminea was. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jeremiah said:
    I’d gladly pay $200 for one. Been looking for a while now. Seems to be more of a unicorn than the chiminea was. 
    I don’t get the chiminea thing, but others will not understand the mini thing. I’m glad I bought my mini. 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Jeremiah said:
    I don’t get the chiminea thing, but others will not understand the mini thing. I’m glad I bought my mini. 

I get both. But I also think the Morgan 3 wheeler is cool. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,095
    Mini Max new is the way to go....mine is sweet!.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Have 5 Eggs. If tomorrow i could only have one Egg. It would be the Mini, no question. 
    Several years ago myself and fellow members of Egg world sent a Mini to Afghanistan for a MP company. 21 men and women used it daily. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    The mini should be fine when cooking for 2 people; granted the mini-max will have a larger grilling grate. If grilling something like two large steaks, I would lean toward the mini-max or small. Something like two pork chops, sausage, 3-4 burgers would be fine on the mini. One of the things I like about the mini is the short amount of time it takes for it to heat up. It does not burn much lump compared to the large egg. Firing up a large egg or extra large is overkill for 2 people. It cost me roughly $300 for a new mini with the carrier and platesetter; local dealer sells discounted gift certificates. 
  • Husband and wife Mini all the way. 
    Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium