Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone Else See This (New Temp Controller)

Comments

• MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    It's a pricey bugger....looks like there is a new damper necessary as well. 
    Pratt, KS
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    The features on it are really nice from what I've seen.  Mixed reviews on some of the KJ facebook pages.  I'm unsure if there are a lot of problems or if I'm only hearing the squeaky wheels.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • I’ve never been a temp controller guy, but I kind of want one 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    MattBTI said:
    It's a pricey bugger....looks like there is a new damper necessary as well. 
    Yeah there was something about they couldn't get the ash tray out of it, so I don't know if it was the damper or adapter that was changed.  Some of the pictures out there are not the most current.
  • I like the ones that only have the fan down there. In my opinion that area can get too hot for fancy electronics.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    I have only had a Smobot as a temp controller but I cannot see any advantage that a fan has over it. Mine has been flawless.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Here's a message (sans pix) from Bobby Brennan (KJ company owner) regarding some issues with the iKamand he posted on FBook a couple of months ago:

"iKamand Update. We have sold over 3500 iKamands in North America. A little over 3% were dead on arrival due to manufacturing issues at our supplier and an additional 4.5% have stopped working since consumers purchased them. We have about 700 active users who are using their devices several times a week. In addition to manufacturing issues our biggest issue is with managing heat under certain “usage scenarios”. The most problematic scenario is when a user is grilling at high temps and has the iKamand on the bottom vent. When they go to shut down the grill they close the bottom top and bottom vents with the iKamand on the bottom vent. If they forget to close the baffle on the iKamand all the heat in the grill will want to escape through the bottom vent and the electronics will get overheated. In addition to damaging the components the signal strength is also impacted by this overheating. We are working on a number of hardware updates that will protect the electronics from any overheating scenario. The first picture shows a thermal image of the unit in our testing. The next picture shows a part made out of Ultem plastic (high temp insulator - circled) that we are adding to create a compartment for the electronics. In order to create space on the inside of the unit for this component we have gone with a smaller but more powerful fan. The additional space created is going to allow us to explore more antennae options as well. We have found that the antennae we are using works well but the signal strength is somewhat dependent on the relative orientation between your grill and your router. We would like a multi-directional antennae. The more powerful fan is also allowing us to add a “flap door” on the inside. When the fan engages the door opens. It closes when the fan shuts off. This not only allows us to protect the electronics from overheating but also should allow for better temperature control. We are also intending to add a sensor on the board to warn the consumer of a potential overheating scenario. Our initial testing this week has gone extremely well. More extensive testing will happen over the next month. If all goes well these changes will be implemented and available in a Gen II product in 12 weeks. Apologies to anyone who received a defective unit or who accidentally damaged their electronics. Full refunds and/or exchanges will be provided. I would like to add that the team at Desora are continuously updating the APP and are also working to allow the device to work directly with your phone (without WiFi) and a number of innovative features that we can’t talk about just yet. We have also hired manufacturing consultants to implement a thorough quality control plan at the factory. Sorry for the long winded update. Appreciate the feedback. I think we understand the initial issues and I am very encouraged by the improvements that the team is working on."

No idea why anyone would use a pit controller when doing a high heat cook to begin with doesn't seem too be an insurmountable problem and I'm sure iKamand2 will be just fine.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    GrillSgt said:
    I have only had a Smobot as a temp controller but I cannot see any advantage that a fan has over it. Mine has been flawless.
    It looks like the Smobot is a solid piece of tech. If I used multiple pit types I'd lean toward an induction fan...If I only cooked on a egg type cooker, the Smobot really looks like it performs well. 
    Pratt, KS
  • stlcharcoal
    What is smobot doing now that BGE and KJ have both gotten away from the daisy wheels?  How does it work with the new "Kontrol Tower" and "Egg-whatever" chimnies?
  • GrillSgt
    edited October 2018
    Has BGE replaced the “dual function metal top” or just offering an optional top? If they no longer offer them or plan on discontinuing I would think Smobot would make one. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited October 2018
    I've never really understood the need for a temp controller on the egg. Isn't one of the biggest selling points other than its diversity is its ability to hold constant temps for extended periods of time? Granted I don't do 20hr cooks but I have zero issues maintaining 250-275 for 15+hrs with just the bottom vent and the Daisy up top. I did have problems a couple times but that was user error not the egg.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I like the ones that only have the fan down there. In my opinion that area can get too hot for fancy electronics.
    The temps low on the base are surprisingly not as hot as you’d expect. 
  • GrillSgt
    I have zero desire to get up during the night to check on temp. I also like the ability to be miles away from my cook, say on the lake, and monitor the temps and adjust if necessary. What I never really understood is why someone would tether themselves to their egg for the better part of a day.
  • GrillSgt said:
    I have zero desire to get up during the night to check on temp. I also like the ability to be miles away from my cook, say on the lake, and monitor the temps and adjust if necessary. What I never really understood is why someone would tether themselves to their egg for the better part of a day.
    Being by the egg all day is part of the appeal to me. Just a slow day around the house while I let the egg do its thing. Even with a temp controller, I could never just leave a live fire alone for more than maybe 45 minutes. Just how I am. Many people do leave the egg alone, but I could never do that. Just my view on it. To each their own. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • TEXASBGE2018
    GrillSgt said:
    I do occasionally use a grate probe that I can monitor with my phone but that's only if there is something irregular going on weather wise. I set a low and high range so I know that as long as I don't hear a beep on my phone I'm fine. If you are having to constantly monitor your temps there is most likely either something wrong with your individual egg (A leak somewhere) or there is restricted/too much airflow to the point that its moving up and down. I will put food on at 250 Degrees at say 11PM to eat dinner the next day and I won't touch my egg until I take the food off late that next afternoon. No issues with maintaining temps bone stock. I guess if it literally helps you sleep at night go for it. Luckily, I don't have that issue so I can spend my money on things like Rockwood, CGS Accessories, or Briskets.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    GrillSgt said:
    If you build a proper fire, you don’t have to babysit it. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Being by the egg all day is part of the appeal to me. Just a slow day around the house while I let the egg do its thing. Even with a temp controller, I could never just leave a live fire alone for more than maybe 45 minutes. Just how I am. Many people do leave the egg alone, but I could never do that. Just my view on it. To each their own. 

Oh, I've done it a few times. The longest I've left was a couple hours. We had errands to run. I was a bit nervous but not because I was afraid of temp fluctuation. I was more concerned about the odds of a loose spark. My egg is on my back porch surrounded by concrete and brick but it's a covered porch so I guess there is a minute chance a spark could pop out of the top of the egg make its way up another 7ft to my porch ceiling still glowing hot, settle on the ceiling, burn a large enough hole that it would then catch the roof on fire. Now if I was doing a clean burn, I'm standing by with a fire extinguisher. =)

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I've never really understood the need for a temp controller on the egg. Isn't one of the biggest selling points other than its diversity is its ability to hold constant temps for extended periods of time? Granted I don't do 20hr cooks but I have zero issues maintaining 250-275 for 15+hrs with just the bottom vent and the Daisy up top. I did have problems a couple times but that was user error not the egg.
    They are most useful when trying to maintain temps below 250 and for low temp overnight cooks. They are really cheap insurance in the grand scheme of our sickness. I know guys who use them on virtually every cook. I’m in the once or twice a year category. Just being able to sleep soundly when cook runs overnight is worth it to me. Necessity, no.   
  • stlcharcoal
    Yes, and 275F+ usually isn't an issue.  But 225F, is barely a crack in both the draft door and daisy wheel.  It doesn't take much of a change in wind or a temperature drop outside to disturb that metered airflow.

I was with you.....I had egg'd for 10+ yrs without a temp controller.  Check on the fire a few times over night and no big deal if it went out.  But then I started working nights and wanted to load up the BGE with a bunch of pork butts when I went to work, so they'd be ready the next day around lunch time.  Twice in 2 yrs I came home to a cold egg where the fire had been out for at least 8 hrs.  Throw away $100+ worth of meat.  Temp controller was a no brainer at that point......cheap insurance if all else fails.

I did a brisket yesterday--was home most of the day so I didn't even get out the Flame Boss, but if it's overnight or I'm going to be away for more than 2-3 hrs, then I'll put it on.
  • stlcharcoal
    GrillSgt said:
    Has BGE replaced the “dual function metal top” or just offering an optional top? If they no longer offer them or plan on discontinuing I would think Smobot would make one. 
    DMFT was phased out this summer.  Any new egg has the single slider.
  • pgprescott
    Just to add to what @stlcharcoal has said, the 225 temps are not really needed on an egg except as a matter of timing IMO. If I have something planned for dinner the next evening, I may want to keep the temps quite low just to slow the cook down and reduce the holding time in the cooler. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    i routinely leave my egg for up to 12 hours while it sits at 220 dome, never had a problem with temps, sleeping, off fishing, 8 hours away at work. but then again im ok with 220 plus minus 30 or so degrees =) or maybe more. no controller here
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pgprescott
    i routinely leave my egg for up to 12 hours while it sits at 220 dome, never had a problem with temps, sleeping, off fishing, 8 hours away at work. but then again im ok with 220 plus minus 30 or so degrees =) or maybe more. no controller here
    The bowels of the interwebs are
    littered with tragic stories of the “black hole” burn out during low overnight cooks. You are very skilled and very fortunate. It happens. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    littered with tragic stories of the “black hole” burn out during low overnight cooks. You are very skilled and very fortunate. It happens. 
    have had the center burn but have always caught it in time, seems to happen about 6 hours in which is when i get up on weekends getting the boat ready. im usually trying to extend the cook with lower temps to make more time for other things,  i would cook hotter and faster otherwise.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stlcharcoal
    Here's a pic from my XL......it's kind of hard to see, but it almost was like a quarry in there.  Burned underneath and made a shelf.  Wild.

If you on the top pic, you can see charcoal and wood chips on the right side above the firegrate.  On the left, you see the KAB sides and even the bottom in one spot.  There's about a 6" drop off right down the middle, which is where I had my camera on the second one.  Probably should have taken video instead.  :/

• GrillSgt
    Not not trying to argue with you but the official site still shows the wheel and doesn’t show the new wheel in parts. 
  • stlcharcoal
    GrillSgt said:
    Not not trying to argue with you but the official site still shows the wheel and doesn’t show the new wheel in parts. 
    They havent updated the marketing material.  They started shipping all eggs with the new slider over the summer.  The new chimney has been depicted on the assembly instructions since late last year.  Every egg at Eggtoberfest had the new one on it.

• GrillSgt
  • GrillSgt
    Here’s the adaptor just announced by Smobot for a couple of other kamado. I’m sure they will cover the egg, probably in the works. 

https://mailchi.mp/7a57f85e58e2/smobot-vision-pitboss