Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked base

Options
g37
g37 Posts: 450
edited October 2018 in EggHead Forum
Just found a small crack in my base. It doesnt seem bad should i keep cooking on it and replace when it gets worse?? 
Ewa Beach, Hawaii

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Cracked bases are always a changeout in my opinion especially when you’ve got a wooden table. Why take a risk? 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    +1^^^
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Cracked bases are always a changeout in my opinion especially when you’ve got a wooden table. Why take a risk? 
    Or take it out of the table and put it on a paver or something until your new base arrives. 
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    Thanks. I’m gonna email BGE tomorrow. I want to see if I can do all my warranty claims
    through my local Ace Hardware. I tried calling my dealer every day last week but no one answers the phone. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    It's going to suck air through that crack......no matter how much you damper it down.  You'll have trouble maintaining low temps.  I had it happen on my XL years ago and kept messing with the gasket and alignment.  I finally have to get under it to pick up something I dropped and noticed two cracks in the base.  New base a week later and it was back to normal.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    It's going to suck air through that crack......no matter how much you damper it down.  You'll have trouble maintaining low temps.  I had it happen on my XL years ago and kept messing with the gasket and alignment.  I finally have to get under it to pick up something I dropped and noticed two cracks in the base.  New base a week later and it was back to normal.
    Crack...air leak...great point.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas