Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help Wanted - Ribeye cook

Options
kersh13
kersh13 Posts: 23
I received a pair of ribeyes in our monthly order from our local meat market. They are probably 1" - 1.5" thick. Last time I tried reverse searing ribeyes on the BGE, they ended up way over-cooked after the sear. Any suggestions or recommendations on how to cook these? What internal temp should I am for on the initial cook if I'm going to reverse sear them so that they don't end up well done? 
Large Egg circa '06 model.

Athens, GA

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    They are a bit thin for reverse searing method so results will be a bit tricky.  Pull from the low heat cook portion at around 115º.  Let rest a bit while fire heats up before searing (close or on the coals). 

Make sure the fire is going strong - don't worry about the dome temp.  You are using primarily radiant heat. Get the steaks close to the coals and flip often.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited October 2018
    Options
    There are a couple of different schools of thought on how to handle the reverse sear. Here is my take: 
    1) Keep the temperature relatively low during the indirect phase (300 or less). 
    2) Remove the steaks when they are about 5 degrees below your target temp. 

I pull them at about off at about 125 IT. 

3) Let the steaks rest (do not wrap in foil). The goal is to make sure the internal temp has stopped climbing. 

Note: At this stage the steaks are cooked, and the sear is just to add color. 

4) Get the egg hot and sear for a minute or so per side. Keep the dome open if possible. I like to keep the dome open because if you close it the steaks are basically in a 600-700 degree oven and they will cook very fast. If you have them on the open flame they are just cooking from one side. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    The key is the finish temp (instant read thermo is the deal here).  I would not reverse sear but just flip around every 60 secs until you are within around 5*F of desired finish temp.  Then pull, plate and serve.  The carryover will bring them to your final temp.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kersh13
    kersh13 Posts: 23
    Options

4) Get the egg hot and sear for a minute or so per side. Keep the dome open if possible. I like to keep the dome open because if you close it the steaks are basically in a 600-700 degree oven and they will cook very fast. If you have them on the open flame they are just cooking from one side. 

I think this may have been part of my issue before as I was closing the lid with the vent removed. That makes sense. 

I generally cook them with my seasoning/rub and then butter them prior to the sear. It's worked great for thicker ribeyes, sirloins, and filets that I've cooked thus far; just not for the thinner cut ribeyes. 

Thanks for the tips! 
    Large Egg circa '06 model.

Athens, GA

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I know this isn't what you asked, but have you considered caveman style (or whatever its called)?

Get the coals ripping hot. Grill the steaks directly on the coals, flipping as needed,  until 5°F or so below the desired IT, then pull them and rest. Keep the rub simple, as the seasoning/spices will likely burn. After trying many rubs ( I usually prefer DP Raising the Steaks), salt and pepper really work best.

Its a pretty simple method, and hard to mess up. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I may get flamed here, but I like to use my gas grill for the sear. I cook on the Egg at around 225* until a bit below my target temps (115 for me, 125 for Ynette). I have GrillGrates on my gas grill with the smooth side up. I get that to about 700*, and after a few minutes rest on the steaks, I slap them on the grill, for about 20 seconds per side. Always comes out the way we like.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.