Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trompo King Plate w/spike

Options
Saw it on IG and then their web site https://trompoking.com/products/trompo-king-3-0-preorder

Its a stainless pan with a spike attached to stack meat Asada style. 

I see CGS has a meat spike that can be placed in a pan, https://ceramicgrillstore.com/products/meat-stick-spit?variant=31502419853

But I only see the stainless pans (on CGS) with tapered sides and I'd like one with more vertical sides to catch the juices

Any others out there? 
XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    "This is the newest version of the Trompo King🔥. This unit comes with both a 12” and 7” interchangeable spike to fit on most grilling and smoming units. "

Sweet! I've been looking for one that fits my "smoming unit". :)

That seems like a pretty hefty price tag. Buy a 12" paella pan for $20 and a length of stainless rod for a couple bucks. A couple more bucks for a couple stainless washers and nuts. Put threads on about a half inch of one end of the rod and grind a dull point on the other. Bolt it together and for $25 you've got a meat spike pan for your  grill or "smoming unit".

Or just buy the CGS spike and put it in the paella pan or a cast iron skillet and you've still spent half the price.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    It's a pretty pricey new little toy. I do love the fact that it has handles, but it just feels like a $50-60 product.

More like $150 by the time you get everything you need.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit  Just the thing I wanted to hear. Think Ill get one when the new stuff comes out! 

I assume 12'' will fit the BGE XL?

Thanks for posting.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @tjv do you have them in stock?  Also will you be available in the morning I need to ask a few questions and place an order.   
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• GGrillin'
    Options
    +1 not the one from Ceramic Grill Store.  Works great!
    Gil Gowing 
    Clermont, FL
    Large BGE - MiniMax BGE
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    Matt86m said:
    @Killit_and_Grillit  Just the thing I wanted to hear. Think Ill get one when the new stuff comes out! 

I assume 12'' will fit the BGE XL?

Thanks for posting.
    12 inch fits my XL

XL BGE
    MD
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    just need to sharpen the hook with an angle grinder...

canuckland
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    edited March 2020
    Options
    very tempting, but I only cook for 1
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    Somebody had these on sale now, maybe JJ George. I have no use for one but may be a deal for those who do.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I pulled the trigger on the smokeware trombo king.  I’m aware of the CGS unit and how it works.  There’s two reasons I like the trombo better.  The spike is integrated with the pan.  Being sorta clutzy and sometimes unsteady, it seems like having the spike attached to the pan makes it less likely it would topple over onto the floor.  The other reason is because of the handles.

Pricey?  You bet.  But if I was worried about spending a little extra money to get what I want, I would still be cooking over Kingsford on my Weber Kettle.
    Flint, Michigan
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I've wanted to make tacos de trompo/el pastor on a vertical charcoal spit for a while - They have many homemade ones in Mexico.  There are also the standard propane (and cheap electric) ones for gyros/shawarma, but I want charcoal!

The setup shown is good that it's vertical, but cooking indirect will just bake the meat, you need direct conduction to make it right IMO.

Image result for tacos de trompo
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.