Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pretty stoked!

So the last time I had an egg was about 8 years ago. I have been apartment living and have not been able to have one. Hoping next year to shed the apartment and be in a townhome or house. I live in pretty new incredibly pet friendly community now. They're just not grill friendly because of the fire codes. However for giggles I asked the manager if I could use a portable grill in the parking lot and if I could store it on my porch. Got the reply this morning with good news but with some guidelines. She said I can use one away from the building and gave me a designated area about 100 yards from my door. She also gave me the ok to store it in the utility closet on the porch, just not actually out on the porch.

My plan was to get a Mini Max, but now I wonder if I should just get a small with a nest. Although I recall the nest wheels being pretty sucky. I have one of those rectangular furniture dollies I can throw the mini max on that to roll it out. It's pretty much just me unless I have my kids so I don't think I need anything bigger. I figure once I'm in a place where I can have it right outside my door, I'll buy a large to be able to do more food when I have people over.

Just curious if anyone knows if they give any decent deals at Eggtoberfest on the mini max (Hoping I am a lucky winner in the giveaway)? I have an egg dealer not even a mile from me and they're listed as a gold dealer. They want $598 for a max with a small going for $549. Seems like I see a decent amount of posts on here with people saying they have scored them for mid 400's. So if anyone has any leads on good deals please let me know.
-Eddie

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    So you have to trek this thing a 100 yds to cook?  If so, you don't want to carry a MM that far.  I'd look for something lighter (Joe Jr).  Personally, I went for the Joe Jr for price and for lightness.  I like the stand too better than the MM.  

Are you dead set on a kamado?  Why not something like a Weber Jumbo Joe?  You get a larger area to cook on too.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited October 2018
    So you have to trek this thing a 100 yds to cook?  If so, you don't want to carry a MM that far.  I'd look for something lighter (Joe Jr).  Personally, I went for the Joe Jr for price and for lightness.  I like the stand too better than the MM.  

Are you dead set on a kamado?  Why not something like a Weber Jumbo Joe?  You get a larger area to cook on too.  

Agree, if its gonna be a year or so and then you are in a house. Just wait to get an egg. Weber Jumbo Joe has my vote also. Or maybe if you want a kamado an Acorn Jr.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,115
    I will 3rd the Weber Kettle. I just have a feeling your manager might catch enough heat to change her mind. Rather just have $70 or so invested until you are into a house. The KJ jr is so close in weight to Mini Max and Small BGE it changes nothing as far as weight goes. I honestly think my KJ jr is heavier than my Small BGE and I know it's heavier than my Mini Max.
    The place that you are allowed to cook, do you have to bring a table as well.
    Will get old very fast having to cook off the ground.
    Is the area secure. Are you going to have to stand there the entire time you are cooking? So many other factors that "we" don't know.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tarheelmatt
    Photo Egg said:
    I will 3rd the Weber Kettle. I just have a feeling your manager might catch enough heat to change her mind. Rather just have $70 or so invested until you are into a house. The KJ jr is so close in weight to Mini Max and Small BGE it changes nothing as far as weight goes. I honestly think my KJ jr is heavier than my Small BGE and I know it's heavier than my Mini Max.
    Is the area secure. Are you going to have to stand there the entire time you are cooking? So many other factors that "we" don't know.
    Interesting.  There's about 18lbs difference.  I can tell the difference, but lighter to the JJ.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • So you have to trek this thing a 100 yds to cook?  If so, you don't want to carry a MM that far.  I'd look for something lighter (Joe Jr).  Personally, I went for the Joe Jr for price and for lightness.  I like the stand too better than the MM.  

Yeah I really want a Kamado. It's so versatile. Not sure you saw in my post, but I have one of those square four wheeled furniture dollies. I figured I'd just put it on that to roll it out.  This could be my inexperience with the Weber kettles, but the short time I had one, I really struggled with temp. If I need to take something 100 yards out I don't want to wast my time struggling with temp. I am an egghead at heart, but haven't ruled out the Joe Jr for the reasons everyone already state (Weight and cost).

-Eddie
  • Photo Egg said:

There's no table. I would do prep inside and just bring the prepped food out. No I won't have to stand out there. Linear distance is a lot less, it's just walking distance is longer. This is good because WiFi reaches so I could get something like a Cyber Q to monitor temps. Manager didn't seem worried about any flack other than it being stored outside on the porch. So suggested the storage closet. I would be using it on the weekend for longer cooks like butt, brisket, chicken and ribs. It wouldn't be for quick steaks. That would definitely get old real quick. But you guys got me thinking though.
    -Eddie
  • tarheelmatt

Yeah I really want a Kamado. It's so versatile. Not sure you saw in my post, but I have one of those square four wheeled furniture dollies. I figured I'd just put it on that to roll it out.  This could be my inexperience with the Weber kettles, but the short time I had one, I really struggled with temp. If I need to take something 100 yards out I don't want to wast my time struggling with temp. I am an egghead at heart, but haven't ruled out the Joe Jr for the reasons everyone already state (Weight and cost).

I applaud a man with plenty of will power!  I'm lazy and would probably just settle for a George Foreman.  

Carry on playa! You got this. 

I do not know of any "deals" except for Eggfests and they usually post prices beforehand.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • So you have to trek this thing a 100 yds to cook?  If so, you don't want to carry a MM that far.  I'd look for something lighter (Joe Jr).  Personally, I went for the Joe Jr for price and for lightness.  I like the stand too better than the MM.  

I applaud a man with plenty of will power!  I'm lazy and would probably just settle for a George Foreman.  

Carry on playa! You got this. 

I do not know of any "deals" except for Eggfests and they usually post prices beforehand.  
    LOL yeah man I really miss my BBQing big time! Trust me, the GF crossed my mind but then I felt all dirty and skeevy!!
    -Eddie
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I love my Akorn Jr and it's lighter than the Mini as I recall. But I wouldn't want to lug it 100 yards and back every time I wanted to use it.

You could get a small egg with nest and replace the casters with some large diameter wheels and maybe a Nest Handler (though I don't know if the Handler would be necessary with those wheels).
    Image result for big green egg nest wheels

Or a MMax and a Radio Flyer. =)
    Image result for radio flyer wagon
    or maybe...
    Image result for shop cart

One other thing... if your utility closet is part of a building where people live, carbon monoxide could be a concern. Unless you remove the charcoal after every cook.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    If I had to hump something that far I'd go with a kettle or an Akorn Jr.

On the other hand, if I was concerned about someone stealing my grill I'd possibly opt for an XL just to make it a bit more difficult for them. :)

P.S. - the KJ Jr. is actually lighter than both the MiniMax and the Small.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,115
    Photo Egg said:
    Interesting.  There's about 18lbs difference.  I can tell the difference, but lighter to the JJ.  
    Maybe it's just bad perception on my part.
    But I also think my Kamado Big Joe is way heavier than my XL BGE and both have 24" cooking grate. I struggled to to get the Big Joe Dome in place by myself. I have done my BGE XL many times with no major issue with weight.
    Did you actually weigh them or going by posted weight on web?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    edited October 2018
    Where are you in NJ? The Woodbridge Walmart has the Akorn Jr for $82.

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=52497353

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Yeah so I got home from work and I walked in and out a few times. I can see it being a mega pain after the first or second cook.

This thread basically went like this:

1. Man I'm super stoked! Can't wait throw on a butt!
    2. Alright cool, the community is throwing out some good thoughts here!
    3. Hmmmmmm I wonder if this is really a good idea???
    4. Son of a bull colon, this is gonna be a huge hassle!

Ughhh dare I consider an electric smoker, which I CAN keep on my porch? Next June can't come soon enough.
    -Eddie
  • Where are you in NJ? The Woodbridge Walmart has the Akorn Jr for $82.

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=52497353
    Oh wow that's damn cheap. About 40 minutes south (Mt. holly)
    -Eddie
  • Carolina Q
    Try an Alton Brown flower pot smoker (Google it). No high heat cooks, but it's great for smoking butts and such. Electric hot plate and a cake pan filled with wood chunks.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Try an Alton Brown flower pot smoker (Google it). No high heat cooks, but it's great for smoking butts and such. Electric hot plate and a cake pan filled with wood chunks.
    Thanks! I'll check it out.
    -Eddie
  • Carolina Q
    If you decide to try the flower pot, get a higher wattage hot plate. Mine was 750 watts and it was fine in the summer. Couldn't keep up with Connecticut's winter temps though.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,615
    edited October 2018
    A 100 yards is a pretty good clip to be pushing a furniture dolly. I’d recommend doing a test run with some weight before you go buy an egg.  Your enthusiasm is likely to wane after a couple of runs.  
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,199
    I've seen a few of these being used at competitions. Not as their main smoking unit but used for their own personal use during the comp. It might fit your criteria. Under $500 and could probably be bolted down to something that makes it a little more portable than ceramic.

https://youtu.be/bvRMc9aWr_0
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho said:
    I've seen a few of these being used at competitions. Not as their main smoking unit but used for their own personal use during the comp. It might fit your criteria. Under $500 and could probably be bolted down to something that makes it a little more portable than ceramic.

Thank you! Nice little unit. I'm gonna give Carolina Q's suggestion a shot with the flower pot. I can do that right on my porch. If it holds me over to June to be able to do low and slow product, it will work.
    -Eddie
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,373
    Wassi's in Melbourne, FL sells the Minimax for $399 everyday all day.  Keep looking; there has to be some good pricing out there.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim said:
    Wassi's in Melbourne, FL sells the Minimax for $399 everyday all day.  Keep looking; there has to be some good pricing out there.
    Man that's a killer price! This is NJ, NOTHING is cheap here LOL. Can't wait to move out this state next year!
    -Eddie
  • Carolina Q
    ...I'm gonna give Carolina Q's suggestion a shot with the flower pot. I can do that right on my porch. If it holds me over to June to be able to do low and slow product, it will work.
    I mentioned that my 750 watt hot plate didn't work well in cold weather. I have not tried a higher wattage one (bought an egg instead) so I don't know the max available or how many watts are needed in a northeast winter. I put a butt on once and left it overnight. Woke up in the morning to a 100° flower pot.

I'm almost tempted to suggest using your oven. I've done butts in the oven when visiting Mom (no egg there). It's not as good, but it's not bad either. Got raves at Mom's 100th birthday party, though no BBQ connoisseurs present. =) And you'll want to clean the oven afterward. At least try one to see if you like it (use a rack over a drip pan!).

Good luck.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ...I'm gonna give Carolina Q's suggestion a shot with the flower pot. I can do that right on my porch. If it holds me over to June to be able to do low and slow product, it will work.
    I mentioned that my 750 watt hot plate didn't work well in cold weather. I have not tried a higher wattage one (bought an egg instead) so I don't know the max available or how many watts are needed in a northeast winter. I put a butt on once and left it overnight. Woke up in the morning to a 100° flower pot.

I'm almost tempted to suggest using your oven. I've done butts in the oven when visiting Mom (no egg there). It's not as good, but it's not bad either. Got raves at Mom's 100th birthday party, though no BBQ connoisseurs present. =) And you'll want to clean the oven afterward. At least try one to see if you like it (use a rack over a drip pan!).

Good luck.
    Thanks Michael. I am considering a Masterbuilt electric smoker. Relatively inexpensive, can keep on the porch and should do the trick for now. The whole idea of getting a MM or KJJ was so I can still manage a coal unit. Electric just takes all the fun and additional flavor out of the process.
    -Eddie
  • ...I'm gonna give Carolina Q's suggestion a shot with the flower pot. I can do that right on my porch. If it holds me over to June to be able to do low and slow product, it will work.

Good luck.
    Thanks Michael. I am considering a Masterbuilt electric smoker. Relatively inexpensive, can keep on the porch and should do the trick for now. The whole idea of getting a MM or KJJ was so I can still manage a coal unit. Electric just takes all the fun and additional flavor out of the process.
    I've got an electric smoker and they work fine for butts but they don't impart much smoke flavor. You will probably need to supplement the smoke with something like the Amaze-n-smoker tube.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• thetrim said:
    I got mine at their eggfest last year for $379. But the Sunshine State Eggfest is a long way from Jersey.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group