Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mold...

Options
Been a very wet  and humid year here around the DC area.  I cant keep the mold from growing from inside my egg.  Ive tried uncovered and covered both.  Tried with vents open as well.  Outside of keeping a fire lit inside of it 24/7 is there anything else I could try?  Seems i must do a clean burn everytime before I use it and sometimes time doesnt allow for that.  Thanks for any input.  Appreciate it!

Comments

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Im not sure you can stop it, maybe leave the lid propped open a little bit?  I live in Utah so my advice is effectively worthless.  It is very arid here, it takes a lot of work to grow mold.
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    The best way to prevent mold is to cook more.  I live in SC and it’s always humid here.  If I don’t cook a couple of times a week, or at least once, mold grows. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,189
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Couple of questions/thoughts.  I’ve struggled with mold in my XL but never once in my medium. I live in Georgia so humidity is always an issue. 

- Cook on it more. Best way to keep mold at bay is use your egg more. 
    - Are you doing just low and slow cooks? Mold buildup is usually due to fat/grease buildup. If so,more higher heat cooks are in order. 
    - Keep your egg clean. See above. 
    - Don’t immediately shut down the egg once you pull the food off. Give it time to burn off the fat/grease. 
    - Make sure your open vents are facing the direction of the prevailing winds in your area.
    - The cover is definitely not helping your situation.  

• kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    Do you use the ceramic cap when not in use?

2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I have several friends who have had this same issue and this is what I have found that works. But we all use covers so I can only speak for a covered egg, in GA and FL. 

Regardless if you are cooking low and slow or hot and fast, once the food comes off the egg let it go for about 30-45 minutes (if time allows) before closing it down. Then close the bottom vent and put the lid on it. The next day (or once completely cooled off) put the cover back on it. No need to clean or point towards the wind. Just make sure you removed your drip pan and scraped the grate off a bit before the 30 minute dry burn.

Having to get rid of mold before every cook would really take the fun out of egging imo. Good luck and report back.
    Snellville, GA

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    In Oconee County SC. I have never had a problem with mold. Sometimes I go a few weeks without using the large. I use no cover and keep the grill outside. I generally do let the grill go a little bit after cooking before putting the cap on, but not always. The majority of my cooks are 350+.