Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nailed the smoke ring!

Options
alaskanassasin
alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
  Alright I nailed the smoke ring tonight and here is what I did.  I found a random, non vacuum sealed, freezer burned, bogo roast that I ran under hot water for 20 minutes (so I can get it out of the package)while I ran to the bank.  Then I relighted some leftover charcoal, apple, hickory blend leftover from a turkey smoke. Dome temperature ran from 300 to 200 for 5 hrs. Rubs were a random leftover I found in cabinet on bottom and dizzy pig on top. Pulled at 170.
  Bottom line, killer tacos! I was ready to sauté with onions for a fajita blend but not necessary, bge saves dinner and delivers the rangs!

South of Columbus, Ohio.

Comments

• FarmingPhD
    Options
    Looks great! Tacos  are a favorite around our house.
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Hell of a ring, looks tasty!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Looks good :)

Sometimes (often?) the least planned cooks turn out the best. Beverages are often involved!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Nice, I’ve tried hard for a ring to no avail at times and then other times gotten one when I least expected it like last weekends tri tip which looked more like a medium rare brisket with the ring than some briskets I’ve had lol 

• JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    Looks really good! FYI, according to Alton Brown’s experiments, food thaws faster in cold water. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
      Alright I nailed the smoke ring tonight and here is what I did.  I found a random, non vacuum sealed, freezer burned, bogo roast that I ran under hot water for 20 minutes (so I can get it out of the package)while I ran to the bank.  Then I relighted some leftover charcoal, apple, hickory blend leftover from a turkey smoke. Dome temperature ran from 300 to 200 for 5 hrs. Rubs were a random leftover I found in cabinet on bottom and dizzy pig on top. Pulled at 170.
      Bottom line, killer tacos! I was ready to sauté with onions for a fajita blend but not necessary, bge saves dinner and delivers the rangs!

Well Done Sir!
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited October 2018
    Options
    @alaskanassasin very nice!  I have found cherry wood creates a crazy ring . . freaks some ppl out on chicken & pork tho  :|:|  

I am in CBUS too . . how far south are ya?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Tacos! 🌮 🌮 🌮
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    NDG said:
    @alaskanassasin very nice!  I have found cherry wood creates a crazy ring . . freaks some ppl out on chicken & pork tho  :|:|  

I am in CBUS too . . how far south are ya?
      We are 20 minutes from Grove city on 71.  I will have to try cherry, I have been using apple and hickory from trees I cut up for awhile so it would be interesting to try something different!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Fool proof "smoke ring"?   Rub or add to your rub celery powder.  You can tell all your friends it is natural.
    Options
    I use cherry wood almost exclusively now, I love the flavor profile.  The killer smoke rings and coloration are a plus 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    @milesvdustin I have been wanting to cut up a wild cherry tree to see if it has a good smoke profile. I assume what you get in the bags is recycled fruit trees from a orchard . Maybe @stlcharcoal has a better idea?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Fool proof "smoke ring"?   Rub or add to your rub celery powder.  You can tell all your friends it is natural.
    Nitrates Baby 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    I’ve found That although it’s not at all necessary innthe BGE, a water pan gives you your best chance for a good smoke ring. It’s all about combustion, baby. I too use fresh cherry wood almost exclusively. It’s just fantastic. I won a pitmaster competition last year and the guy that came in 2nd told me he knew I was gonna win, just from smelling my smoke. Now that’s testimony!
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium.