Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Wimmer's Hot Dogs: OT

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
With a tad bit of humor and a wink I try to think of myself as a "hot dog" connoisseur! :)

It really started as a child some 65 years ago. Back then natural casing franks were commonplace, but the meat going in was thought most commonly made of "*ssholes and elbows, with eyeballs thrown into the grind!"

Through the years I have tried many brands of hot dogs. Some have been better than others - but most times they are NOT good!

This Summer I found a single package of 6 dogs in a local chain store and I fell in love with them! Saturday Pat and I took a 2 hour round to buy 36 hot dogs that I had special ordered. I've now consumed 3 hot dogs and will finish another 3 tomorrow using my "pucks" of Varsity knock off chili that I mentioned and posted the recipe for last week.

Maybe - JUST MAYBE I have found my cherished hot dogs!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    At the rate of an ex bank controller those are expensive hot dogs.   Enjoy and savor 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Never had them, never heard of them, and I wouldn't say I'm a connoisseur, but over many years I've had a few, too, and by far the best hot dogs I've ever had are made in the now notorious Flint, Michigan, by Koegel: the Koegel Vienna!

Years ago, the major national hot dog companies SUED the state of Michigan because their standards for what kind of junk you could NOT put in hot dogs was too high, and they couldn't compete, ... and they WON!  But Koegel has never put that stuff in their hot dogs.  They're really, really good!  Boar's Head Viennas are similar, but I think Koegel Viennas are the best.  You can order them directly from Koegel on the Internet, if you're interested in trying them out.

I also like Hebrew National hot dogs, but they're really different, practically a different kind of sausage, to me, so it's a bit like apples and oranges.  When I don't have any Koegel Viennas, they and the Boar's Head viennas are my backups.
  • RRP
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Never had them, never heard of them, and I wouldn't say I'm a connoisseur, but over many years I've had a few, too, and by far the best hot dogs I've ever had are made in the now notorious Flint, Michigan, by Koegel: the Koegel Vienna!

Years ago, the major national hot dog companies SUED the state of Michigan because their standards for what kind of junk you could NOT put in hot dogs was too high, and they couldn't compete, ... and they WON!  But Koegel has never put that stuff in their hot dogs.  They're really, really good!  Boar's Head Viennas are similar, but I think Koegel Viennas are the best.  You can order them directly from Koegel on the Internet, if you're interested in trying them out.

I also like Hebrew National hot dogs, but they're really different, practically a different kind of sausage, to me, so it's a bit like apples and oranges.  When I don't have any Koegel Viennas, they and the Boar's Head viennas are my backups.
    I hear you, but in all honesty I have thrown out more Boars Head, Nathan's and Hebrew than you can shake a stick out.  Same with COSTCO and some from local "good butcher shops".

I also threw out some Pearl's dogs that I ordered and paid too much money for overnight delivery from the East coast.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Always great to find something you really like.
    Can you post a photo of a pack?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't know what soured you on Pearls, Ron. You once RAVED about them! I've never found a better hot dog. Their 1/4 pounders anyway, don't know about smaller ones. Never heard of Wimmer's.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Pearls... with pulled pork, onion, Gulden's and La Bomba. On a buttered and toasted split top bun. No finer, no where!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EggbertGreenII
    Options
    I see that our nearest Walmart allegedly carries Wimmer's wieners. I'm going to try them.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    Made in West Point, NE.  I grew up eating Wimmer's.  
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    strange marketing with the wimmers, they are either red or "uncolored"
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    Options
    I see that our nearest Walmart allegedly carries Wimmer's wieners. I'm going to try them.
    I checked also, but at least our Wally World doesn't, nor Kroger, nor Schucks - all of which the parent company's web site says - BUT that info pertains to their main brand called Land 'O Frost, not Wimmer's.
  • RRP
    Options
    I don't know what soured you on Pearls, Ron. You once RAVED about them!
    True - I once did as they were better than the national brands available locally, but nothing worth spending the relative high cost to have them shipped overnight delivery!

• Carolina Q
    Options
    RRP said:
    I also threw out some Pearl's dogs that I ordered and paid too much money for overnight delivery from the East coast.
    RRP said:
    True - I once did as they were better than the national brands available locally, but nothing worth spending the relative high cost to have them shipped overnight delivery!
    Sort of like SRF meat. Apparently good stuff, but there's no way I'll ever spend that much on a chunk of meat.

But let me get this straight... You ordered Pearls, paid for overnight delivery from Mass to IL... and then threw them out, not because they weren't good, but because you had paid too much? Umm, what?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    PS, just bustin' your chops Ron, as usual. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Sort of like SRF meat. Apparently good stuff, but there's no way I'll ever spend that much on a chunk of meat.

But let me get this straight... You ordered Pearls, paid for overnight delivery from Mass to IL... and then threw them out, not because they weren't good, but because you had paid too much? Umm, what?
    No, Michael - When I buy packages of hot dogs I repackage them in twos in Food Saver bags and then freeze them and mark the date purchased. As I vaguely recall we had defrosted our upright freezer and I found a collection of different brands in the bottom of the wire basket at the bottom of our freezer. They had various dates. Amongst them were some Pearls which had an old date and I threw them out. So, no, I didn't order them to just pitch them out.