Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which cast iron Dutch Oven

Options
There are currently two Lodge 5 piece cast iron sets on Amazon for $69.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Pre-Seasoned-5-Piece-Cookware-SX-5PC/dp/B073Q9GT4N/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1538142702&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=lodge+cast+iron+5+piece+set&psc=1

and 

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Seasoned-Bundle-Griddle-Skillet/dp/B004QM8SLG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1538142702&sr=8-3&keywords=lodge+cast+iron+5+piece+set

The only difference seems to be in the Dutch Ovens. So my questions are: which DO style is best? Which style do you prefer and why? Also is there something else I am missing that makes one set a better deal than the other set?

These will be used 95% of the time on my Eggs. I doubt I will ever cook over a camp fire and they will see very limited usage on the kitchen stove.

Thanks.
Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
MiniMax 04/17
Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I have the 2nd set. Dutch oven fits the small and after cutting the handles off so do the skillets.   The 8” works great on the mini.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    In the Customer questions & answers section for the first one, two people said it was made in China. I thought all Lodge was USA made.

Also, the lid on the first DO is rimmed, typically intended to allow placing charcoal or campfire coals on top. Those usually have legs on the bottom of the pot though I don't see them in the Amazon photo.

This is what those lids/legs are for...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Thanks @Mattman3969 and @Carolina Q  that's the type of insight I was looking for.

I don't see me putting coals on top much but the 8" skillet on the MiniMax I can see doing that.

Retirement and SS limits my funds. I'm trying to hold off on touching my main retirement funds for a few more years so I have to weigh my purchases carefully. I also want to get an Instant Pot. Not sure which to buy first.

MiniMax 04/17

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    One more question. How hard is the Lodge stuff to keep cleaned and seasoned? OI have my Mom's CI skillet and its a pain in the A.
    MiniMax 04/17

• HoustonEgger
    Options
    I have the 2nd one as well and it fits great in the large egg. I use Crisbee puck to season/maintain my cast iron. Simply clean after a cook, warm/dry pan on stove and then season with Crisbee and wipe clean. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Thanks @HoustonEgger

I have a stick of Crisbee here. I think I'll give that a try on Mom's old skillet.
    MiniMax 04/17

• Carolina Q
    Options
    I don't have any Lodge CI, it's all Griswold or Wagner. Bought "preseasoned" from antique shops. All I do is cook in 'em, wash with hot soapy water and a scrubby, dry with a paper towel, then wipe on a little canola (inside only). Traditional is lard or bacon grease I guess, but I don't wanna waste it. =)

Never heard of Crisbee, but I just looked it up. Seems rather expensive for something to season a pan with. Canola works for me.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited September 2018
    Options
    The pre seasoning is decent at best.  I just started cooking and after 4 or 5 oily cooks it was all good. 
       The problem with any CI you use on the egg is the heat getting out of control and burning the seasoning off.  It’s a constant game for me. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I would get the Instant Pot first. It’s a very versatile cooking device. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    Options
    I have the 2nd. Box says made in the USA. I use camp chefs cast iron conditioner on my current stuff. Never wash, just wipe and rinse
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    caliking said:
    Thanks @caliking That's the way I am leaning at the moment. Bed Bath and Beyond has the Duo Plus for $129 and with my daughter's employee discount it seems like a deal to jump on.

MiniMax 04/17

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited September 2018
    Options
    All of Lodge's raw cast iron products are still Made in USA. Their enameled and carbon steel lines, however, are made in China. 

If the dutch ovens will be used on the egg then get the standard version. The legs on the campfire versions would be problematic and the lids would be overly clunky if you're not planning to add coals to them. 

All that said... outdoor cooking is a lot easy using enameled cast iron and/or stainless steel. No battling seasoning or rust problems. Unless you're cooking over high-heat, then raw cast iron is the way to go. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    caliking said:
    Thanks @caliking That's the way I am leaning at the moment

MiniMax 04/17

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    caliking said:

Pulled the trigger today on an Instant Pot Duo Plus 60 at Bed Bath and Beyond. Using my daughters employee coupon (30% off) I paid $90.99. I'm excited for a new cooking method but I'll get back to the cast iron purchase in another week or two.
    MiniMax 04/17

• Carolina Q
    Options
    caliking said:

Pulled the trigger today on an Instant Pot Duo Plus 60 at Bed Bath and Beyond. Using my daughters employee coupon (30% off) I paid $90.99. I'm excited for a new cooking method but I'll get back to the cast iron purchase in another week or two.
    Excellent choice!!! When it shows up, do this... absolutely awesome!!

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/pressure-cooker-pot-roast/

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Terrebandit
    Options
    I have a couple CI Dutch ovens from Lodge.  If I had to have one, I'd buy the biggest one.  I believe it's 5 Qt.  it fits in the large too.  For smaller stuff, I actually prefer their chicken fryer w/lid over the smaller Dutch oven. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    caliking said:

Excellent choice!!! When it shows up, do this... absolutely awesome!!

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/pressure-cooker-pot-roast/
    Thanks @caro@"Carolina Q"
     I love pot roast and its going to be one of the first things i cook in it.

MiniMax 04/17

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I have this one L10DO3 could be the smaller one though.  I love it for the handle when pulling it off egg or out of the oven.  I just realized the other day the lid works on a skillet I have.

One thing in general I don't like is the inside of the lid has all these bumps- I'm guessing to push condensation back down but it a bit more challenging to clean.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    edited September 2018
    Options
    7 QT Lodge, flat bottom, rounded top. I’ve Also gotta 5 qt Cabella’s Lodge with the feet and charcoal lip, and while that’s an entertaining way to cook it’s extremely inefficient and no good in the egg.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    9 and 7 QT lodge 
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    I picked up the Lodge 7qt this weekend.  
    Franklin, TN
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    All the DO you'll ever need. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• KGilma2018
    Options
    All the DO you'll ever need. 

They had a 9 qt I wasn't sure it would fit on the LBGE, and I thought about how incredibly heavy it would be full of chili or stew lol.  
    Franklin, TN
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I bought a Tramontina 6 1/2 qt enameled DO last year. $30something, even with the non-member surcharge at Sam's Club. I have a 3 1/2 qt Le Creuset that is sometimes too small so I wanted a larger one. I have yet to come close to filling this one up. No worries about cooking or storing acidic foods in the enameled ones. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut