Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doing a Spatchcock Turkey and need some advise

Options
I have been asked to do the thanksgiving turkey again on the BGE.  If I was cooking normally, would be a slam dunk but someone suggested cooking it spatchcock style.

So, looking for some tips from people who have done this.  What is the temp and time per pound I should allow.  I normally brine the turkey and thinking of doing the same again.  Thoughts if that is lost when you spatchcock the turkey?

Thanks for your input!

Comments

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    I have been asked to do the thanksgiving turkey again on the BGE.  If I was cooking normally, would be a slam dunk but someone suggested cooking it spatchcock style.

So, looking for some tips from people who have done this.  What is the temp and time per pound I should allow.  I normally brine the turkey and thinking of doing the same again.  Thoughts if that is lost when you spatchcock the turkey?

Thanks for your input!
    Brine is just as effective when you spatchcock.... what size egg?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @mickey has this dialled in. 

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1867825

Good luck finding him though. He’s been a roadtrippin’ fool since retirement. He’s probably driven to Timbuktu by now :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Scantron
    Options
    I've done one and it was the best Thanksgiving bird that anyone in my extended family has ever had. I definitely recommend that you brine for 24 hours. I did it on my LBGE but I don't remember how big the bird was. I did it raised direct at 400F for probably 1.5 to 2 hours if I remember correctly. It was like 5 years ago so I don't remember all the details. Everyone still talks about it at Thanksgiving every year but I'm never able to cook the bird anymore since we moved away.
    Cooking on a Large Big Green Egg in North Chicagoland.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg

(you cut out the backbone and cook opened)

I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)

Chicken 3 to 3.75lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 

Or, just add a package of legs extra. 

I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 

If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 

I cook "direct" @ 400/425 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.

I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.

NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)

I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 

Cook Turkey to temp (not time) breast @ 155/160 and thigh @ 165.

Cook Chicken to temp breast 160.

Rest both 10 mins.

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)

Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..

Equal part: Brown Sugar..

½ part: Black Pepper..

½ part: Kosher Salt..

½ part: Garlic Powder..

¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..

NOTE: I just start with a small jar of the Instant Expresso Ground coffee and use the jar for all measurements. 

Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    caliking said:

Good luck finding him though. He’s been a roadtrippin’ fool since retirement. He’s probably driven to Timbuktu by now :)

LawnRanger (wives) and I are headed to Taos on the 2nd. Then Linda and I will go to Durango for a few days.
    This retirement does not suck
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options

• DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    Options
    What is wrong with cooking a turkey raised in-direct? I am thinking platesetter with rack and drip pan under raised rack.

Maybe the bird would cook more evenly?

Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • Mickey
    Options
    DWFII said:
    What is wrong with cooking a turkey raised in-direct? I am thinking platesetter with rack and drip pan under raised rack.

Maybe the bird would cook more evenly?

Non flip
    browns well
    SUPER EASY!
    dozen years doing 3 or 4 a year and no problems. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Mickey said:
    caliking said:

LawnRanger (wives) and I are headed to Taos on the 2nd. Then Linda and I will go to Durango for a few days.
    This retirement does not suck
    I’m kinda jealous...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Here’s a 14# bird indirect at 350 with some cherry wood.  2.5 hours.
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    I do my spatchcock turkey indirect. Try it both ways, see which you prefer. 
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • RockyTopDW
    RockyTopDW Posts: 338
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I have done spatchcock turkey for the last 3 thanksgivings.  I would definitely recommend in-direct because it makes it even harder to screw it up.  I'm not a brine guy. I rub mine really heavy with DP Raging River.  the result has blown my friends and family away!  they claim it's the best they've ever had.  my family always did turkey for Thanksgiving out of tradition, but no one actually loved it.  it's a different story now.  this method is super easy and will catapult your grill master reputation (at least with the non-edgers that don't know actually how easy this is).  good luck!

PS.   Raging River is crazy good on spatched turkey!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    I use a hatchet to perform the spatch surgery on a turkey.  The bones are much more robust than any chix.  I have gotten an 18 lb spatch bird on a LBGE without having to get creative.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Donwon9999
    Options
    As always everyone is very helpful.  I agree that the turkey is always a hit with everyone.  

I think I will try the indirect to start with.  Ordered some poultry shears to cut the turkey open so a good excuse to buy a new toy!
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Advise is a verb meaning “to give counsel to; offer an opinion or suggestion as worth following.” Advice is a noun meaning “an opinion or recommendation offered as a guide to action, conduct, etc.”
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Surveyor_Egg
    Options
    I use a butcher's cleaver to cut the spine out.  Good way to scare the kids into doing their chores.

------

1 Large BGE

Boston, MA

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options
    I just use a bread knife and saw it out. It comes super easy and is well a lot safer then some other methods
  • tenpenny_05
    Options
    Raised indirect anywhere between 350/400.  I don't brine, and I feel like rub makes very little difference.  A trick I learned is to brush it with soy sauce before cooking to give it a great color:
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options

Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    For me the key to getting the deep color is to smoke with cherry wood.  Doesn't need much but the outcome is great.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.