Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak and Cast Iron

Options
Quick question for all you steak experts.  I have a couple of  steaks I am planning on cooking tonight.  I was going to grill them off then do a quick sear in a cast iron skillet.  I am open to suggestions. They aren't too thick.   Maybe 1.5 - 2"'s thick.  Any other methods sound better?  I usually just grill them until finished.  TIA
Midland, TX XLBGE

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Quick question for all you steak experts.  I have a couple of  steaks I am planning on cooking tonight.  I was going to grill them off then do a quick sear in a cast iron skillet.  I am open to suggestions. They aren't too thick.   Maybe 1.5 - 2"'s thick.  Any other methods sound better?  I usually just grill them until finished.  TIA
    Finish with a brown butter bath in the CI with aromatics and garlic. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    also consider putting a finishing butter or just plain butter on it when resting after cooking
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Try just a basic sear after you roast them.
    Roast them slower, raised direct if you can.
    Pull them a few degrees shy of where you like them.
    Rest them on a wire rack over a plate if you can and do not cover or wrap steaks.
    Get your CI real hot, pat dry your steaks with paper towel and then sear. Dryer steak will crust up faster.
    You are only searing to get a good crust. 
    Top with a little herb butter if you like.
    Photos please
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. Will let y’all know how they turn out. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    GoldenQ said:
    also consider putting a finishing butter or just plain butter on it when resting after cooking
    I like to put “squirt” butter on them
    while resting.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gasman79
    Options
    i'm a fan of sous vide to start then sear (or basically the reverse sear method).

looking forward to getting the roccbox and trying it out in CI with a lot of butter....