Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone use this stone?

Options
I was browsing on Amazon and saw this pizza stone with rave reviews. Anyone use this on here? It’s a 14” but I see they also make a 16” and was wondering how 16” stones perform on a large BGE. 

Pizza Stone for Best Crispy Crust Pizza, Only Stoneware with Thermarite (Engineered Tuff Cordierite). Durable, Certified Safe, for Ovens & Grills. 14 Round 5/8 Thick, Bonus Recipe Ebook & Free Scraper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GW4CDOI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_0eXNBbS6KAV9M

Comments

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    No, but she sure seems to be enjoying it!  
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Too big for a large egg. It will impede airflow and the max temp achievable will be lower. 
  • KGilma2018
    KGilma2018 Posts: 120
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I have the 16 for my Lbge no problems.  I put platesetter in legs down then the grate, 2 bricks and the stone on top to get it higher in the dome.   No issues getting it up to 600-700*
    Franklin, TN
  • higginsg
    Options
    I use it on a large and really like it.
    I've been cooking since summer 2018 on a large BGE (prior to that on a Weber with a Slow N' Sear). Current grilling in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Lots of marketing hype in order to charge more than other stones.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Lots of marketing hype in order to charge more than other stones.  
    Probably. I have a couple 1/3” thick 14” stones with the lifters that do the job just fine. I’m wondering if there is an advantage to thicker stones like those on Amazon and the bge pizza stones.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

You want a stone that is at least 5/8" thick made of cordierite.  The purpose of using a pizza stone is to store a large amount of heat that can be rapidly transferred to the dough.  By preheating the stone, heat is stored. It is transferred to the dough by conduction.  Most pizzas benefit by this rapid heat transfer. Thin stones will not store as much heat and will give subpar performance, especially if cooking multiple pizzas.

If you have a good pottery supply store near you, you can get a kiln shelf.  Pizza stones and kiln shelves are the same thing.  Kiln shelves sell for less than an equivalent pizza stone. While you are at the pottery supply store you could also get some kiln shelf posts to use as spacers in the egg.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jimdgreat1
    Options

She looks like she wants to put her head in the oven.

Don't do it!!!

XLBGE - LBGE - Charbroil gasgrill

Wichita Kansas