Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Turbo Butt

Options
Bought a 8 pounder this morning. Set up for indirect heat at 350 degrees. Added a couple handfuls of hickory soaked chips and hoping for some good eats this evening!!! 

Comments

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    woodhead said:
    Bought a 8 pounder this morning. Set up for indirect heat at 350 degrees. Added a couple handfuls of hickory soaked chips and hoping for some good eats this evening!!! 
    Sounds good. Are you planning to wrap after 4 hours or whenever the bark is set?
  • Kent8621
    Options
    I wrap mine around 160 internal and then save the juices in the foil for when I pull it apart, gives it great flavor. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• EggbertGreenII
    Options
    I've been doing mine at 300 degrees of late, and honestly I can't tell any difference between them and the ones I used to do at 230 degrees all night long. Except that I don't have a fitful night's sleep.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • woodhead
    Options
    Gonna wrap around 160 and then put on for another hour till done 🙏
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've been doing mine at 300 degrees of late, and honestly I can't tell any difference between them and the ones I used to do at 230 degrees all night long. Except that I don't have a fitful night's sleep.
    This. And I never foil mine. As far as I know, most folks don't. It's a butt, not a brisket. On at 9-10AM, done by dinner time.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Kent8621
    Options
    woodhead said:
    Gonna wrap around 160 and then put on for another hour till done 🙏

just a heads up when I wrap mine its usually about 3 hours in and then its done about 2 hours later.  just so you have an idea for your timing.  best of luck, looking forward to the results.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    No need to wrap a turbo butt IMHO.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • woodhead
    Options
    Decided not wrapping Butt  
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    woodhead said:
    Decided not wrapping Butt  
    I agree - reason is with a turbo method then wrapping meant a soggy exterior vs. a tasty bark. YMMV
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • woodhead
    Options
    Never came back and gave the results. Turbo'd for 4 1/2 hours at 350, let it sit wrapped in foil for an hour, pulled the meat and it was delicious. Probably won't even wrap and let sit next time due to a slightly soggy exterior but otherwise no need to slow cook butt any longer
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I am 10 hours into a low and slow right now.   I did one turbo butt that I didn't wrap and I thought it was dryer than my low and slow butts.   I guess I need to try another one that I wrap some where around 160.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    No need to wet the chips/wood at all. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.