Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Crusty Brisket

I smoked an 8 lb brisket yesterday and the bark became very crusty and tough to cut. The meat was very moist and tender but the bark was burnt. I cooked at 225. Does anyone know why this happens or how to prevent it? my first thought is to wrap it next time. suggestions?

Comments

• kl8tonkl8ton Posts: 2,383
    One method some people use is once the bark is how you like it, wrap in butcher paper for the remainder of the cook.  I have never wrapped.

Also, at 8 lbs, you may have only had a brisket flat as well.  Those are a bit trickier to nail.

Did your rub have a lot of sugar in it?
    LBGE - 36Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • GrillSgtGrillSgt Posts: 2,259
    I'm thinking too much rub.
    Woodford & Barren Co. KY

LBGE, XLBGE, Smobot, 2 Weber Genesis, Weber 22" kettle

I’d kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

• Hawg FanHawg Fan Posts: 1,511
    You you may want to check the calibration of your dome thermometer.   Also, you didn’t mention it, but I assume it was an indirect cook?

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • GrillSgt said:
    I'm thinking too much rub.
    I’ve overdone the rub before and ended with very crusty bark.
    Memphis, TN 
    LBGE, SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, Akorn (still in the box)
  • GrillSgtGrillSgt Posts: 2,259
    I'm guessing we all have done it. Perfect example of less is more.
    Woodford & Barren Co. KY

LBGE, XLBGE, Smobot, 2 Weber Genesis, Weber 22" kettle

I’d kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 23,771
    im good with crusty bark, just as long as the brisket is tender and still a little moist and it doesnt taste burnt like charcoal.  better than when the brisket tastes like a tender potroast, thats more disappointing to me after all that time cooking
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Posts: 133
    too much rub and not enough spritzing? I've had that bad one one side of the brisket before and typically just flip it over and try slicing the other way
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• HubHub Posts: 713
    My guess is too much sugar in your rub.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Philly35Philly35 Posts: 771
    Plutonium said:
    too much rub and not enough spritzing? I've had that bad one one side of the brisket before and typically just flip it over and try slicing the other way
    If your spritzing a brisky, your doing it wrong. 
    NW IOWA
  • DoubleEggerDoubleEgger Posts: 13,561
    *you’re
  • dgoldbdgoldb Posts: 13
    I was using John Henry texas brisket rub so I dont think that the problem was too much sugar in the rub.  Probably too much rub. Thanks for the comments and replies
  • No big downside to spritzing in my experience other than necessitating extra time and attention. Adds color, flavor (depending on what you use) and gives me something to do. Optional really. Like injecting. Some do, most don't.
    Gittin' there...