Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buying Beef Plate Ribs

Options
Doing my first plate ribs this weekend. How early can I go to the butcher to get the meat? I want it fresh, but I also want to make sure they are not sold out on Friday... I don't want to have to drive all over town, in a panic, the day before the cook.
Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 

Comments

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Order ahead of time and pick up the day before you'll cook them
  • Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    Options
    Order ahead of time and pick up the day before you'll cook them
    Good idea. Thanks... 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Go to either Costco out here in Rockwall and get them or check out Davids Meat Market over in Garland. With the ones at Costco they are Prime and are Vac Sealed so you could get them days in advance. The ones at Davids you would need to go the day before.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Slippy
    Options
    Go to either Costco out here in Rockwall and get them or check out Davids Meat Market over in Garland. With the ones at Costco they are Prime and are Vac Sealed so you could get them days in advance. The ones at Davids you would need to go the day before.
    I was planning to go to David's... I will call them today and "reserve" one. I've had good luck over there... Have you seen some meaty plate ribs at Costco? 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Slippy said:
    I was planning to go to David's... I will call them today and "reserve" one. I've had good luck over there... Have you seen some meaty plate ribs at Costco? 

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1214048/1st-time-beef-short-ribs#latest

I actually like the ones at Costco better than Davids because the Costco are Prime. See above link. Once they shrank the meat was about 2.5"-3" thick they were superb. These bones were about 7"-8" plate ribs.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Also if you are wanting the super huge ones you could try Deep Cuts over in Richardson. They have individual Beef Ribs that are like 10" Bones.

• Slippy
    Options
    Slippy said:

I actually like the ones at Costco better than Davids because the Costco are Prime. See above link. Once they shrank the meat was about 2.5"-3" thick they were superb. These bones were about 7"-8" plate ribs.

That's it right there... I would love to get some Prime... I may swing by today to check it out. Time to re-up my Costco membership... Do they come two racks per package, or single? Thanks!!! 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Slippy said:
    Slippy said:

That's it right there... I would love to get some Prime... I may swing by today to check it out. Time to re-up my Costco membership... Do they come two racks per package, or single? Thanks!!! 

They come 4 Ribs per rack and there are usually 2 racks sealed together. I was there over the weekend and a Package (8ribs total) was around $35 bucks. I would say it was maybe 8 pounds or so? I definetly advise getting a Costco Membership if just to use it for buying Prime Briskets and these plate ribs alone.

• Slippy
    Options
    Slippy said:
    Slippy said:

They come 4 Ribs per rack and there are usually 2 racks sealed together. I was there over the weekend and a Package (8ribs total) was around $35 bucks. I would say it was maybe 8 pounds or so? I definetly advise getting a Costco Membership if just to use it for buying Prime Briskets and these plate ribs alone.
    Struck out at Costco... Gonna try Davids. I asked Coopers in Dallas last time I was in there and they said they normally carry them. It's by my office, so I may swing by tomorrow... 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Slippy said:
    Slippy said:
    Slippy said:

Struck out at Costco... Gonna try Davids. I asked Coopers in Dallas last time I was in there and they said they normally carry them. It's by my office, so I may swing by tomorrow... 

Did you look next to the Briskets? They had 8 packs on Saturday. I've never had any trouble going in and getting Plate ribs there. Must be a busy week.

• Slippy
    Options
    Slippy said:
    Slippy said:
    Slippy said:

Did you look next to the Briskets? They had 8 packs on Saturday. I've never had any trouble going in and getting Plate ribs there. Must be a busy week.
    I did. They had quite the selection of prime brisket, great prices. I talked to the butcher and he said they only have the beef ribs for certain promotional weeks. Next one is Sept 21... 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Slippy said:
    Slippy said:
    Slippy said:
    Slippy said:

I did. They had quite the selection of prime brisket, great prices. I talked to the butcher and he said they only have the beef ribs for certain promotional weeks. Next one is Sept 21... 
    Weird. Then again, I don't go into Costco every week like a lot of folks so maybe I just get lucky every time.

• Slippy
    Options
    Ended up getting some pricey ribs from Coopers. Embarrassed to say how much... They cooked much faster than I prepared for. They are 5.7 lbs, so I figured 8.5 hours.., but only took 6. They are resting while the baby back finish... Looks good and my probe slid in like softened butter. Pulled at 201°