Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic fire grid?

Options
Just replaced my fire grid with a KAB.  The grid is made of ceramic, though I read a lot about them being cast iron.  When did they stop using ceramic fire grids?

Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s

Comments

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I don't know the answer but the dates for both of my Eggs are in my signature and they were both CI. If I am remembering correctly. They are not something I take out and look at very often. I have a KAB for the Large but the MIniMax is using stock fire components with the addition of a spider and a pizza stone from CGS.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• MO_Eggin
    Options
    My LBGE purchased in 1/08 has a cast iron fire grate.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,232
    Options
    I’m sure our resident BGE Historian @RRP will know. 
  • KennyCJR
    Options
    Just did a cook with the KAB and SW cap. The temp control is way different!  

I also installed a new 3” BGE temp gauge.  I’m pretty sure the cheap $9 gauge I had didn’t read very accurate.  It read ~210-220 in boiling water, but my last couple of cooks have been very fast and dried out.  The new gauge showed 450 or so pretty quickly, where as the old cheap one took forever to show anything above 300. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,922
    Options
    I’m sure our resident BGE Historian @RRP will know. 
    Me? historian? I'm just old - not a historian!  :)

My L and S were purchased in 2000 and had them and I have saved them all these years for some reason. My medium has the ceramic and it' still in use.

My newest egg is my Mini bought in 2005 already had the metal one. Not sure that narrows it down real well for you.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    It was around 2002 I believe. Same time when they started changing up the hinge/bands, came out with the DFMT, made the taller nests, etc.
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    It was around 2002 I believe. Same time when they started changing up the hinge/bands, came out with the DFMT, made the taller nests, etc.
    What’s DFMT mean again? I know I’ve read it somewhere.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Powak said:
    Dual function metal top...…

Or there's a few other fun ones depending on who you talk to!!!
  • KennyCJR
    Options
    Thanks for the info.  =)
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Powak said:

This replaced the SFMT - Single Function Metal Top.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    Powak said:

This replaced the SFMT - Single Function Metal Top.
    FYI, there were two of those.  The daisy wheel top was first, then came the slider top.  The DFMT combined the two.  Now they went back to the single function slider, but it has some improvements......stays where it's set when you open the lid, a rain lip, insulated adjustment point, ability to use an optional "umbrella" rather than the old coffee can trick.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    My mini had the caramic fire grate. I tossed it.