Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CGS Accessory Questions

Options
I did a quick search and saw a few threads but thought I would ask anyways. I am looking to get either the 14" or 16" CGS Drip pan and then either a KAB or a High Que Grate.  What size do you all recommend for a large egg on the drip pan and then also which do you all prefer the KAB or the High Que?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I guess while I'm at it. Those of you that have the Spider, do you like it?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• BobDanger
    Options
    Im useing the 14” inside the woo on a medium egg...would think you need larger for a large.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options

Ya I was going to call Tom, but thought maybe he would see the thread and post a comment.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Buy the same size pan as your stone. Any bigger and you’re restricting airflow. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Buy the same size pan as your stone. 

Well I have the plate setter and PSWoo. Eventually when that goes I will get a stone.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options

Well I have the plate setter and PSWoo. Eventually when that goes I will get a stone.
    Ok don’t go any bigger than your PS 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options

Ok don’t go any bigger than your PS 

haha, easy enough.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Deep dish pizza pans and/or those enameled steel broiler pans that come with most ovens work great as drip pans and may save you some money if you already own them. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Just got my KAB and 16” pan in the mail yesterday, I have a LBGE.  I also got the divider for the KAB which allows you to hold lump in 1/3 or 2/3 of the basket so I’d say that is something to think about.  For the drip pan I just went with the 16” since it said it fit all the large accessories.  
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Agree with others, get drip pan to match your stone diameter.  Regarding the KAB vs HiQue, I am in the strange camp that recommends both.  I have both of them in my eggs and it works really well.  I bought HiQue's before the KAB craze and just left them in there after getting the KAB. I situate them so that they run opposite of each other and catch the smaller pieces from falling through while providing a lot of air.  Now if you dont have both, I would say get the KAB if you could only use one.
  • TideEggHead
    Options
    The KAB makes life a lot easier, I would just make sure it's the SS version. I don't think they sell anything but SS anymore but I have had the regular version for about a year and a half and it's already showing rust.
    LBGE
    AL
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    With the woo and platesetter, I would get the 16” drip pan.  I know some have posted they don’t like the CGS drip pan because it is shallow.  But for wings or abts or ribs, you don’t need a deep drip pan and the larger drip pan protects the areas that the platesetter doesn’t cover.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited September 2018
    Options
    With the woo and platesetter, I would get the 16” drip pan.  I know some have posted they don’t like the CGS drip pan because it is shallow.  But for wings or abts or ribs, you don’t need a deep drip pan and the larger drip pan protects the areas that the platesetter doesn’t cover.
    I don’t really cook wings a whole lot but I do cook ribs,pork butts,and briskets. So some say that the CGS drip pans aren’t good for those applications? I currently use throw away aluminum rectangular pans and I end up using 2 per cook because I put one in the egg for a drip pan and then use the other to put the meat in once it’s cut up. So I am going through a ton of them. I was hoping getting the CGS drip pan would eliminate one of those so I cut my consumption by 50%. It doesn’t appear that’s the case if they aren’t good for a brisket cook.

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I don’t really cook wings a whole lot but I do cook ribs,pork butts,and briskets. So some say that the CGS drip pans aren’t good for those applications? I currently use throw away aluminum rectangular pans and I end up using 2 per cook because I put one in the egg for a drip pan and then use the other to put the meat in once it’s cut up. So I am going through a ton of them. I was hoping getting the CGS drip pan would eliminate one of those so I cut my consumption by 50%. It doesn’t appear that’s the case if they aren’t good for a brisket cook.
    I can't share experience with the 16" since mine are 18", but I haven't had any issues with overflowing from briskets or butts and that includes the SRF Gold which renders a lot of fat.  I've also seen folks put a pan of beans underneath to catch drippings.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    its really shallow, maybe 3/8 inch deep, i mostly just use it for serving. ill measure the depth this weekend. my go to drip is a 13.5 inch paella, very rugged pan that can be used for other cooks.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I use a CGS drip pan on my XL,  Never had a problem, but when I’ve cooked many butts, I use a full disposable foil pan that’s 4”+ deep.  
  • BobDanger
    Options
    I’ve found the the CGS drip pan can also be used as a mirror...for fine grooming prior to a big cook.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Here is a fairly good pic of a 16 inch CGS drip pan (foil lined) at the end of a butt cook.  You can see the pan was plenty large enough to hold the drippings

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet