Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron grills

Options
2»

Comments

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    I love CI maybe to a fault but I was was surprised after five years of searing exclusively on CI that a recent sear I did on my stock grate tasted better. 

Apparently too dark of sear lines and the meat gets bitter.  Some CI sear examples 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    An expert once told me you eat with your eyes first.  Damn near blinded myself with a fork trying that.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    ... Apparently too dark of sear lines and the meat gets bitter. ...
    I agree.  The whole point of a CI grid is that the CI grid is very much heavier than most "regular" grids, and that heavy iron holds a lot more heat, so even after the cool or room-temperature meat hits it, it stays hotter longer, so it "brands" the meat.  A "regular" grid is less heavy, holds less heat, so when the meat hits it, it cools faster, and "brands" the meat less than a heavy CI grid would have.

This means that with a CI grid you have your choice:
    • If the searing fire is hot enough to sear the meat between the grid lines, then a CI grid will over-char the grid lines, burning the meat and giving it a bitter taste.
    • If the searing fire is less hot, the grill marks will look great and not be burned, but the meat between the grill marks will be gray and un-seared, and not as tasty as it would have been if it were seared over the whole surface.
    I'd rather have a fire hot enough to sear the whole surface in an amount of time brief enough not to overcook the interior, and on a regular grid that won't over-char (burn) the grill marks.  The alternative is to use a skillet or griddle, and that works really well, but somehow I just like cooking steak directly over a fire.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    google 'cold grate searing', interesting technique.
    canuckland
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I gotta throw a vote in for the screw grill marks side. I’m looking for a deep red maillard reaction. The flavor compounds that are created just before burning are amazing.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    Grill marks are wonderful, but only big ones that cover the entire surface. I gave up making diamond patterns years ago. 

Sometimes, when I am lazy, after I low and slow a steak or tri-tip, I will sear it on my gas grill with GrillGrates turned with the flat side up. Heated to about 750 degrees they put a perfect all over sear on the meat.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I believe BGE discontinued the Large round CI grate, replaced by half moon ones to fit the Eggspander system.
    yes, we were told the full round ci for the large egg has been discontinued.  It's too bad, as the new ones are not to the same standard. 

The old full round weighed over 12 lbs.  The new half ci grids for the eggpander, as a pair, weigh approx. 8.5 lbs.  To me, it's a big step down, as cast iron needs mass to do its thing and thicker the better when it comes to prevent cracking.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • timcarp1964
    Options
    Wow, there's a lot of hate for the CI grid.  I attended a BGE cooking class and got introduced to the CI grid some 8-9 years ago.  I think the word Chef D used when describing the CI grid was "game-changer".  I bought one for my large Egg.  I think I seasoned it in the beginning and never seasoned it again.  I used it on a regular basis.  I personally prefer meats grilled on CI as opposed to the thin SS grid.  No one has ever complained about flavor or quality of steaks, chicken, brisket, butts cooked on my CI grid.  I recently upgraded to an XL Egg and bought a new CI grid.  Getting ready to season and start using again.  
    As pointed out the newer grids aren't as heavy as the old ones, so I am anxious to see if it grills as well.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    This may not apply here....but Lodge has their Cast Iron Grills on sale for $99.00 right now. I love those grills. Havn't used one in years but they are awesome.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    This may not apply here....but Lodge has their Cast Iron Grills on sale for $99.00 right now. I love those grills. Havn't used one in years but they are awesome.
    walmart has them for 84.99 with free shipping
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I wouldn't give 10¢ for a BGE CI grid. Went thru two of them (warranty replacements), cracked after 3-4 cooks. Got a third one, but never used it. I'd much rather have a wall to wall sear from a CI skillet or griddle than those pretty but pointless grid marks!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut