Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump in Canada

Options

I'm not aware that Rockwood is currently available in Canada. That being said, I use RO and sometimes BGE branded. For the most part I've been happy with both brands - arguably due to the fact I've not used Rockwood and therefore nothing to compare to.

I'm curious as to what other fellow Canucks are using for lump and are there other brands out there that are good.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

Comments

• unoriginalusername
    Options

I'm not aware that Rockwood is currently available in Canada. That being said, I use RO and sometimes BGE branded. For the most part I've been happy with both brands - arguably due to the fact I've not used Rockwood and therefore nothing to compare to.

I'm curious as to what other fellow Canucks are using for lump and are there other brands out there that are good.

If it was cheaper, wicked good competition blend would be my one and only but since I burn like its going out of style I like the Costco stuff for the price.

$11 a bag, have done low and slow for 18 hours and not ran out and have done pizzas indirect at 700 dome.  decent chunks, not too much debris and nice mild smoke flavour thats not overpowering for things like bread where you don't want something as pungent as the BGE brand can be 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,762
    Options
    look for maple leaf, theres not a better smelling lump out there. the wicked good people used to get it for me many years ago
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Basques Sugar Maple stocked at Lowes.  Good stuff.

Phoenix 
  • OshawaDave
    OshawaDave Posts: 198
    Options
    look for maple leaf, theres not a better smelling lump out there. the wicked good people used to get it for me many years ago

I have seen Maple Leaf.....I'll give it a try.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,762
    Options

I have seen Maple Leaf.....I'll give it a try.
    you will really like how it smells with the cooler weather rolling in.  we have not been able to get it down here in a long time. theres some small rocks in the bag from harvesting the maples but not enough to bother things
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • sunder1025
    Options
    It's pricey, but I mainly use Fogo
    Toronto, ON - Large
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 392
    Options
    Maple Leaf is my lump of choice and usually available in Canadian Tire and Home Hardware. I bought Fogo once and although I was really impressed with the size of the chunks, the price just wasn't worth it for me.
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I stock up at the start of the year from Costco with Basque Nature's Own.  My second choice is Maple Leaf, which never seems to go on sale but is a great product.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    I agree with Blasting, Basques Sugar maple is the best I have used, I have not switched back to anything else.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    I agree with Blasting, Basques Sugar maple is the best I have used, I have not switched back to anything else.
    Ya green bags are the ones I get at Costco 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited August 2018
    Options
    ML was buy one get next at 50% off few weeks ago at Lowes. Green bag Basques Nature's Own is $13.99 at GTA Costco, I stocked up at $9.99 2 or 3 years ago.  Both are from Quebec.
    canuckland
  • chzplz
    chzplz Posts: 59
    Options
    Another vote for Basques Nature’s Own from Costco. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    As others have noted, you can’t go wrong with Nature’s Own Basque Sugar Maple or Maple Leaf. Both great, neutral lump for the price. I routinely bake with it. 
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    Our Costco (guelph) started carrying royal oak. I usually use basque but when I can’t find it I get maple leaf 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • OshawaDave
    OshawaDave Posts: 198
    Options
    Much appreciated. I'm going to try both Maple Leaf and Basque and see how it goes.

• OshawaDave
    Options
    GlennM said:
    Our Costco (guelph) started carrying royal oak. I usually use basque but when I can’t find it I get maple leaf 

I was in our Costco on the weekend and hoped to buy Natures Own, but, they've started to carry Royal Oak. Price was $14/20# bag.

I didn't buy it.