Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Tri-Tip

Options
dharley
dharley Posts: 377
I bought a sous vide last week and a vacuum sealer two days later, primarily for a fried chicken recipe I've seen several times and perhaps there was bourbon involved.I made the chicken five times, got it down. (I have $180 into a fried chicken recipe my grand mother it for me twice a week for sixteen years with Crisco and a Griswold, but I am, of course, bougie AF) Time to move on. Three pound try-tip.It didn't look real good after three hours in the hot water, I was a little worried.
I put some 2 Gringo's Chupacabra on it, I don't know it it helped as I threw it directly into the coals to sear, but I felt better about it.This was amazing. Thank you for looking.
LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    How did it compare just doing it entirely on the egg?
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    How did it compare just doing it entirely on the egg?
    I've reverse seared a dozen or so. There was a lack of smoke on this one, but the final product was superior. I didn't season it prior to the sous vide (I will next time) as I put it in in the criovac it came in. The result was amazing in tender and juiciness. The beef flavor was fantastic.

Next time, I will coat in mustard and rub (like a butt) vac seal it and, again, sous vide at 125 for three hours then sear it as hot as i can.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH