Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

JoeTisserie - cheaper alternative ?

Options
Hi I was wondering if anyone has found a cheaper alternative to the JoeTisserie that would fit a KJ Classic or BGE XL ?
$250 is a bit steep for an accessory that i would only use occasionally. Thanks !

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

Hopefully someone with better info will be along shortly....but, I don't think so. 

I think that such a device would be circulating around the forum or the FB groups and I haven't seen anything. 

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    You disturbed the Rube Goldberg in me, bad!

A quick check revealed a lot of electric rotisseries (this one is $35 @ Lowe's):

Just need a way to build a wedged, fireproof ring that would fit between the bowl and the top, with suitable holes on each side.  
    Are you handy with tin snips?  Or maybe cut down one of the commercial Weber Kettle rings to a wedge shape?  (they're more expensive).  Or take a pottery class to make, glaze, and fire a ring that would fit?  
    Or you could easily build a bracket to mount the above to the bowl, and just leave the lid up... 
    Hmmm.  :glasses:

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• CaptainHero
    Options
    So that's kinda what I was thinking. The wedge seems to really be the tricky thing to do. I was thinking a bracket on each side to "hug" the bowl on the outside and mount the rotisserie then rest the lid and maybe use some extra gasket to fill the gap ?
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I did use non-galvanized- be careful on the metal to make sure there are not nasty's being cooked off..

Also; full disclosure once I decided I liked the results; I broke down and bought the joetisserie..

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• CaptainHero
    Options
    Raymont said:

Also; full disclosure once I decided I liked the results; I broke down and bought the joetisserie..
    100% sure this will happen to me. I just love to waste time to devise a mediocre solution then just waste money buying the real deal :blush:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I never figured out a way to do this with the dome closed on the egg, though I tried, but you don't really need the dome closed. Last time I did it was on the kettle, no lid. The Lowe's rotisserie motor mentioned above and a mod to fit it to the weber...

Edit, pics are over two years old. Haven't used the rotisserie since.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    No dome needed. =)
    Image result for water rotisserie gif

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I mounted a cheap Crarbroil rotisserie from Lowes on the lid ban on the left side of the Large Egg. I actually used the bolts that used to hold the side shelve.  The bracket on the right side was modified to set on top of the fire ring.  I adjust the spit clamps to lock it down so the spit can't move horizontal.  After the Egg is up to temp I ad the spit and start the rotisserie with a 1" block close to the spit on the left side to partially block open the Egg.  I close the bottom air vent which eliminates the lump from having a runaway and over heating.  I've had good results with chicken and prime rib.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1200142/rib-roast-and-roasted-veggies#latest

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX