Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Assembly/Design Problem?

Options
The lower air vent window cannot be closed completely because the screen vent blocks it leaving a gap of about an eighth of an inch.  Not a huge problem but just seems like I should be able to close it all the way without leaving a space.  Curious, is this a purposeful design or did my egg get slapped together a bit carelessly.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Post a pic. Somethings wrong 
  • Kevinboatright
    Options
    Pictures? Something is not right as it should close all the way with no gaps. 
    Atlanta, GA 

LBGE, Mini-Max, Mini, 1995 BGE Chiminea, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E-310. 
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited August 2018
    Options

Yea, some minimum wage goon just slapped it together.

Take a good look at it and you will see why it won't close.

Tab A into Slot A!  Simple sheet metal bending is not rocket science.  

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Do you have the screen on the inside or the outside?  Should be on the inside (behind the draft door).
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The screen needs to be behind the sliding vent door and needs to be able to slide all the way to stop point in order for the vent door to slide closed.
    The photo is from an old post by @SmoothSmoke

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WhiteyQ
    WhiteyQ Posts: 29
    Options
    This pic shows the problem perfectly except in my case the tab which stops the slide screen cover is mounted too far to the right preventing full closure.  The resulting gap is just as depicted here.  Thanks @Photo Egg and @SmoothSmoke
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    @WhiteyQ did you ask your neighbor?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    ive seen the cover mounted backwards before, could that be the problem
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thetrim
    Options
    Got it figured out! @WhiteyQ had the screen in front.  Nice guess @photo_egg Easy fix.  Since this was a Sunshine State Eggfest purchase, I was gonna give @SamIAm2 and his boys some grief, but I think it that piece comes assembled from the factory.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options

Yea, some minimum wage goon just slapped it together.

Take a good look at it and you will see why it won't close.

Tab A into Slot A!  Simple sheet metal bending is not rocket science.  

Geez man :lol:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    edited August 2018
    Options
    =) thetrim said:
    Got it figured out! @WhiteyQ had the screen in front.  Nice guess @photo_egg Easy fix.  Since this was a Sunshine State Eggfest purchase, I was gonna give @SamIAm2 and his boys some grief, but I think it that piece comes assembled from the factory.
    @thetrim - I’m just the free labor grunt who put the bands and nests together, moved eggs and DMFT and temp gauges where they needed to go. QC was at a higher pay grade than mine. Will try to check the bottom vents next year, if I can remember that far away. I am old you know.  =)=)
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • thetrim
    Options
    @SamIAm2I was just busting your ballz.  Plus, I know NO NASA engineer/astronaut would let an egg leave his sight unless it was "dead on balls accurate".  Right CAPT Young?
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SamIAm2
    Options
    thetrim said:
    @SamIAm2I was just busting your ballz.  Plus, I know NO NASA engineer/astronaut would let an egg leave his sight unless it was "dead on balls accurate".  Right CAPT Young?
    Not an engineer or officer, always been a enlisted Navy grunt. FYI, made hotel reservations at Spring Hill suites on Falkenburg Road late October for great niece's wedding. Maybe we could toss down a couple before we head home.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • thetrim
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    thetrim said:
    Not an engineer or officer, always been a enlisted Navy grunt. FYI, made hotel reservations at Spring Hill suites on Falkenburg Road late October for great niece's wedding. Maybe we could toss down a couple before we head home.
    You bet, I look forward to it. I may be out your way before then.  I will let you know, and we'll have to meet at Crydermans. (And, of course, a resupply trip to Wassi's)
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    @SamIAm2 My CAPT comments was in honor of all the people that thought you were the astronaut back in the day.  :-)
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SamIAm2
    Options
    Sorry to be so slow today @thetrim. Lots of stuff going on here the past week and my humor detector is way low on fuel. Heading to the other fridge for a Shiner to bring me back level.  :)
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • WhiteyQ
    WhiteyQ Posts: 29
    Options
    Many thanks to all contributors to this thread and especially to my neighbor, @thetrim who routinely bails me out when I catch an occasional case of the dumb__s.