Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to woo

Options
Well  after a few years cooking on my medium I finally bought a woo, stone and stainless plate. 

I probably cook 90% of all my cooks with the plate setter in feet up, so this should be interesting seeing if there is a difference.

Those using the woo with a stone...any recommendations?

Gonna try a chicken today low and slow to break it in.
Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max

Comments

• jimdgreat1
    jimdgreat1 Posts: 175
    Options
    Wrap your stone in foil would be the only thing. I've never had a plate setter or coveggtor. Used a woo, stone, and drip pan on my large since getting it. Rarely cook with out them. Just got 2 half stones and ordered a woo for my xl.

XLBGE - LBGE - Charbroil gasgrill

Wichita Kansas

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Try taking the platesetter out and cooking raised direct with the woo. Most of my medium cooks are raised direct.  I think you’ll like it. 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I would say my medium woo cooking raised direct is by far the most used configuration I use with all of my eggs (medium is used for most cooks). I bought mine years ago before they had handles and that’s my only regret. 
  • BobDanger
    BobDanger Posts: 323
    Options
    Try taking the platesetter out and cooking raised direct with the woo. Most of my medium cooks are raised direct.  I think you’ll like it. 
    Thanks...I went to Walmart and they had pre marinated chicken thighs for $3.50...got the fire started and cooked them raised direct...it’s amazing I’ve been cooking all this time and never tried it this way...now that I’ve figureded it out spatchcock chicken is next.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    BobDanger said:
    Thanks...I went to Walmart and they had pre marinated chicken thighs for $3.50...got the fire started and cooked them raised direct...it’s amazing I’ve been cooking all this time and never tried it this way...now that I’ve figureded it out spatchcock chicken is next.

• BobDanger
    Options
    One last dumb question. Do you turn the plate setter hold ring upside down so the notches are down for more stability?
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • BobDanger
    Options
    One last dumb question. Do you turn the plate setter ring upside down so the 3 notches are up for stability?
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • BobDanger
    Options
    So the notches aren’t up.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max