Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome temp vs 'grate' temp

Options
What is your experience? I have a Thermo Pro dual probe sensor. I have one positioned in a clip just above the grate.

Today on an 8 hour cook its reading 257* with the dome temp reading 220*

Had temp go up and had readings of grate at 280* and dome at 250*

Is this about the difference you have experienced?
XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Matt86m said:
    What is your experience? I have a Thermo Pro dual probe sensor. I have one positioned in a clip just above the grate.

Cooking direct or indirect? When indirect, usually at the start the dome temp is higher and after a few hours they tend to even out. If indirect and the grid temp is higher than dome, I would re-calibrate the dome thermometer.

If cooking direct, don't use a pit thermo.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    DMW said:
    Matt86m said:

Cooking direct or indirect? When indirect, usually at the start the dome temp is higher and after a few hours they tend to even out. If indirect and the grid temp is higher than dome, I would re-calibrate the dome thermometer.

If cooking direct, don't use a pit thermo.

Indirect. 

Ill look up hoe to re calibrate the dome thermometer

Thanks
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    The pit probe will show hotter if it's not positioned over one of the platesetter legs and getting direct heat. It will also show a lower temp if it's too close to a hunk of cold meat placed on the grid. On low and slows the two numbers should move closer together as things progress.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Matt86m said:

Ill look up hoe to re calibrate the dome thermometer

Just put it in boiling water and if stays at 212F (100C) it’s good and if not you need to adjust the nut on the back of the gauge until it’s at that temp in boing water.  
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've never measured grid temp and don't care what it is. BGE puts their thermo in the dome, my kitchen stove mfg put their temp sending unit at the top of the oven and most recipes specify dome temp or "oven" temp. Just clip it to the dome thermo probe.

And yes, calibrate as suggested.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Another dome only temp user.  Learn how your BGE cooks with one calibrated indicator and run with it.  You can get too much information, especially with all the thermal gradients in the BGE (and your clock box for that matter).  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • oskee2004
    Options
    I second @StillH2OEgger... I ran into this issue and realized my pit therm was not over a plate setter leg - so getting much more heat.  Evened out over time on a low-and-slow cook. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    For most cooks there is quite a bit of leeway for the temp. Get the temp in the ball park. What is most important is knowing if the temp is holding steady.  I believe that the dome location is the more stable location, thus the preferred location.  There are a number of factors that can change a grid temp during a cook even when the size of the fire doesn't change. The exact placement from cook to cook makes a temp reading difference even when the fire doesn't change.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    All good info! That's why I am here. Thank you for the education. Ill check my temp probe and be sure it calibrated. 

Makes sense and just for S&G I'll clip the external probe in the dome to see how close they are.

IG -->  matt_86m